Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: I\'m sure I\'ll get flamed, but does anyone believe in hiring a coach?

These forums are free and a weeks worth of participating in many of the discussions on here would be infinitely better than a group orgy w/ JA.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: I\'m sure I\'ll get flamed, but does anyone believe in hiring a coach?

Or Sossman he could just read Greg Raymers posts here and becoming a great player who never can fold AQ....HEHEHE JUST JOKING. Seriously though coaching like that is pretty useless. Id prefer too pay him 1500 to just mirror him in a tourney where he would show me all his hands. Also it be more helpful for him too watch you play and make comments. This is gonna be a big waste of at least a few night where he finds out what style you play... and what are your leaks.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:43 PM

iamlucky, who finished 3rd in the Pokerstars WCOOP Main Event, and has done well in alot of MTTs online has a professional coach.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:43 PM

yah professional coaches are common among aspiring players. i think you guys are knocking this far too much. btw, for me personally, id much rather hear josh ariehs personal thoughts when he is going through a hand than to simply see his hole cards.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 PM

I was the original poster, so I'll comment on what I've read so far.

1) I would have to feel the $1,500 won't break me, which it won't.

2) For the person who suggested books..I've read about every book out there. I'm a pretty good player and looking to take my game to the top level. I think learning how a pro thinks would be very useful

3) He will be talking mostly theory, not how to play AKs in middle position. Thats what I don't like about a lot of books. They talk about what to do holding X hand with 2 players in front of you. That's not what I want. I know how to play the cards.

I want to hear how he thinks early in a tournament, how he spots certain players at the table, and how he uses "needling" to help his game. I'm not saying I want to learn how to be an [censored], but the mental part of Josh's game is very strong.

He claims he has ideas that he will share that will "blow my mind". Well maybe not, but I may like to see what he says.

This is a guy with some huge tourney wins and finishes. A guy who regularly talks with Negreanu, Lindgren and many other pro's. I'd like to hear how these guys think.

I could also use the lesson to ask him about being a pro. I'm a CPA and have no desire to give up my career, but being a part time pro like Raymer used to be is something I would love to do.

I'll let you guys know if I decide to do it. Right now Josh has to find a week that will work for me and the few other people interested.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 PM

I guess my question for you, and I don't mean this badly, is what was the purpose of your question.

You seem to want a lesson, and in this case, the downside, if it sucks is $1,500, which you're willing to spend and a few hours of your time.

I don't know whether anyone here can say whether this lesson is worth the money, or whether there are better options for you.

Certainly lessons are helpful for some, and may very well take your game to the next level.

I guess I'd say if you can afford it, and really want the lessons, well .... Christmas is coming and treat yourself.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 AM

I'm sure you'll get something out of... can't say if it will be worth $1,500, but maybe. Other than these forums, the one thing that has helped my game the most is playing in tournaments with top pros. You don't have to invest that much either. At most of the WPT tour stops (other than the Bellagio tournament this week!) they have quite a few $300-500 events leading up to the tournament. Most of the pros play in these tournaments as well as the daily satillites. While you can't always see their hole cards and they don't tell you what they're thinking, you start to pick up really quickly how they play certain hands and what's going on. People can talk all day long about being aggressive in tournaments, but until you see it up close you really can't undersand it. And who knows, you may get lucky and the investment will pay off right away!