Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Do you guys take a few days off every so often....

I have a full time job and probably play anywhere from 8-20 hours a week. I get in grooves of not playing very well and make myself take some time off. Here's what's happened the last 2 days that makes me think I should take a break.

Played in 3 tournaments:

First Tourney: Hit 4 7's early and hit a big pot. Then KK loses to AK, KJ (2 pair) loses to set. To finsh me, shortstacked all-in with JJ, get called by AA. 25th out of 100.

2nd tourney: Play like crap. Second best hand to many times. 60th out of 100.

3rd tourney: $20, 50 people. Hit a set and played well, about 6th in chips with 20 to go. The big stacks trying to push the table around (he's right beside me to my right). Everyone folds to him. He has 45k, I have 28k. He raise for the 50th time to 1,200, I'm on the button, reraise to 4k with AQs. BB makes it 10k and is all-in. I call, A8 vs. AQ. I lose. Later, I make a few raises with AJ, KQ, and people reraise me all-in. Like a puss I fold them all, although each time they said they had me..hmmmm.

Finally, everyone folds to big stack, he raises again to 2k, I reraise him all-in to 20k. He calls me with A,2o. Unfortunitely, I have 10,4s. Good buddy missed the flush draw I picked up on the flop. Out 11th. How's the guy call me with that? Oh well.

I need a break. Any comments or similar experiences? I know there was a good portion of my play that sucked, but feel free to flame me.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Do you guys take a few days off every so often....

Do you play poker to win? Do you consider it work (even if it is fun)? Would you work any other job without any days off - ever?

At the very least you need to have a day where you only play for a few minutes. You really should take a full-day off.

I'm playing 150 hours a month (11 months now)and I take 2-3 days off per month, have a few days where I only play an hour or so, and take a vacation (7-8 days) twice a year.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM

I play to make extra money, which I've done a pretty good job of over the last year.

But, of course I take days off. Since I work a lot, sometimes I only play 1 or 2 times a week. Time off for me is not playing for an entire week.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Sounds like you took some bad beats, but so does everyone else from time to time. I think that winning at poker has a lot to do with an objective approach to the game and the biggest part of having that is through a good mental attitude. If you aren't in the right frame of mind, you should definitely take some time off because pressing to win will only make you play worse. If I am slumping, I will take some time off. I might study poker for a couple of days, maybe watch some tivo'ed WPT events, anything to get me excited about playing again, then when I am really looking forward to it, I start playing again. Another thing, don't worry so much about results, instead worry about whether or not you are playing good poker. You can play well and bust out early 10 tournaments in a row.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM

I just recently took a few days off. I too have a full time job and play 8 to 20 hours a week. After what seemed like an eternity of bad beats, I forced myself to take some time off. Like I've said in other posts, all I wanted to do was go back and prove I could beat these games. Personally, it took a few days to come off tilt.

Yesterday was my first day back. Table games, finished about 20 BB to the positive. Played 2 SnGs. First one, I literally played two hands. I got nothing, yet still ended up in 4th. Second, I played well and ended up being HU, but down 7200 to 800 in chips, yet played smart/agressive enough to win it.

I have to say, a few days off and getting my head back into the game makes a world of difference. Days off are a MUST!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:12 AM

I have a deal with the wife where I only play M-F. I usually don't miss any of these days, but occasionally I take a light day, say only an hour or so at the tables.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2nd tourney: Play like crap. Second best hand to many times. 60th out of 100.

He has 45k, I have 28k. He raise for the 50th time to 1,200, I'm on the button, reraise to 4k with AQs. BB makes it 10k and is all-in. I call, A8 vs. AQ. I lose. Later, I make a few raises with AJ, KQ, and people reraise me all-in. Like a puss I fold them all, although each time they said they had me..hmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are letting the bad beats, and other players get inside your head. I would say this means break time.

You should be thrilled he pushes with A8 when you have AQ.

You shouldn't worry about if you were beat or not when laying down hands like KQ.

I think it's very normal to feel this way, take a few days, clear your head, and think about why it's good to have someone want to play A8 agsint your re-reaise!