Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Limit Hold\'em books for NL Hold\'em

How easily can the advice in limit hold'em books be applied to NL hold'em? Example: Small Stakes Hold'em HPFAP ect.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Limit Hold\'em books for NL Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
How easily can the advice in limit hold'em books be applied to NL hold'em? Example: Small Stakes Hold'em HPFAP ect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Theory of Poker, that's univeral.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:51 PM

The advice in almost all Limit Hold'em books is not very
applicable to No Limit Hold'em, IMHO.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 AM

So is it worth the time of a nl player to read 2+2 books geared towards limit play?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:17 AM

I'd disagree with what has been said already. Originally, I only played no limit on party and read all the NL books I could find and really didn't learn too much from them that I didn't already know. Then I read some limit books that really challenged how I thought about poker and made me a much better player and eventually caused me to switch to limit. So I'd say they definitely would help, but not directly.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 AM

what made you decide to switch to limit?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is it worth the time of a nl player to read 2+2 books geared towards limit play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they might help in that they provide good general poker background and good application of general poker theory to particular situations. This information doesn't hurt. However, the limit books won't help directly with NL play.

For example, SCSFAP is a great book on limit stud. It provides lots of good information about poker in general. It won't help your NL game much, although it might help you think about poker situations better. There are many books out there that I believe are likely to provide greater direct benefit to NL play.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Theory of Poker, that's univeral.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. TOP may be universal, but that does'nt mean it helps you with NL play much. i play mostly NL SNGs and found TOP almost useless. *correction: not almost useless, I just did find it very useful*. i got way more use out of Bob Ciafonne's Middle Limit Holdem Poker when it came to NL SNGs than i did TOP.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 AM

is middle limit hold'em a NL book?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Zaebos

[ QUOTE ]
is middle limit hold'em a NL book?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's a LIMIT holdem book; however, it has alot of very good hand examples and how they can be played in certain situations. i try to adjust the advice it gives and taylor it to the NL SNGs i play. for the record, Theory of Poker is not a NL holdem book either. alot of people on this site recommended it for my NL SNG play and for odds. i, personally, did'nt get much from it and was disappointed, to say the least. to spend $30 on it and have it talk about Draw, Stud, etc. in relation to poker game theory did'nt help my NL SNG very much, if at all. i'm thinking of purchasing Mike Petriv's Holdem Odds book, Bob Ciafonne NL & Pot Limit Poker, and Bob's NL Poker that slated to come out later this year. i'm also looking foward to Dan Harrington's upcoming books on advanced NL tourney strategy. IMO, for NL Holdem to be the most popular form of poker in today's world, i think there are no where near the quality or quantity of relevant books on the market. there are way more good LIMIT holdem books on the market than NL, that's why i felt Bob's MLHP was a good find.