Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: 10% of poker players are winners???

yea, i will take that bet also! easy money!

7 years for one smuck to make the final table............ easy!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM

If you were to track the players who stay in the black year after year I think the percent would be even lower. A good portion of the players just in the black this year will fall into the red next year and be replaced by other losing players who run especially good for the year. There is a much bigger pool of such losing players pumping from the fat part of the curve into the black due to luck than there are winning players pumping from the thin part of the curve into the red due to luck.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My poker tracker shows me that 39% are winning and 61% are losers. So 10% sounds way off at the limits I play. Id guess that at a 2-4 game with $4 rake + $1 jackpot drop it may be very close to 10% though

[/ QUOTE ]

It is quite possible to achieve these stats in a world where all your opponents are long term losers.

RH
Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 PM

There are some games on the net I don't see how I could ever be a loser in.

If this article is true, then almost EVERYONE must be playing above their head right? Putting in a medium amount like 600 and then losing it all by playing big limits?

I think he's dead on about how people who have the gambling bug lose in the end no matter what. You can do donk away your money at a big game easy, I've seen it a lot
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 PM

Rosie I think you are forgetting the RAKE. You are paying at least 1 BB per 100 hands at the lower limits. You have to be a lot better then your compition to overcome this.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:03 PM

How about this quote from the article:

"I have a proposition bet for anyone interested: You pick who you believe are the 10 best players in the world, and I'll give you even money that none of them makes the final table of the main event by the time the 2012 London Olympics conclude."

Thats a tempting bet, don't you think?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:14 PM

He must have been told that by the management of Captain Cook's Poker.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rosie I think you are forgetting the RAKE. You are paying at least 1 BB per 100 hands at the lower limits. You have to be a lot better then your compition to overcome this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, rake. As time moves forward and sites have scraped billions from the player base, how can you expect more than 10% to be winners?

But bonuses, free rolls and special site promotions can at least negate this problem if you go in that direction totally. Otherwise, unless you are the best of the best, it's going to be tough to overcome what you pay in rake each year.

I really respect these players who grind away at the higher limits and make profits. Even with rakeback it's still quite an accomplishment. Considering what they actually pay in rake. It's amazing to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My poker tracker shows me that 39% are winning and 61% are losers. So 10% sounds way off at the limits I play. Id guess that at a 2-4 game with $4 rake + $1 jackpot drop it may be very close to 10% though

[/ QUOTE ]

Leads me to suspect you have about 30K or so hands in your database. As the number of hands increase, you will see the % of winners decrease and % of losers increase. Watch for it.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leads me to suspect you have about 30K or so hands in your database. As the number of hands increase, you will see the % of winners decrease and % of losers increase. Watch for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he won't.