Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Evidence that God Exists? Stop it already.

Reading that thread, and others within this forum, help me further realize how stunted our advancement is by blatent ignorance and "circular" logic. I wish science would progress fast enough for it to be able to fill some of these gaps in our knowledge within my lifetime, and it pains me to see the millions upon millions of brainwashed individuals hindering this progress.

From the dawn of man, every culture has had its gods and myths to fill in the blanks. As science progressed, those blanks were filled in with rational explanations through new knowledge and understanding. The only difference between the new Gods and the old ones is they have evolved into harder-to-disprove entities and stories. Its nice to believe in fairy tails and to think that we are more than we really are. Keep thinking you are God's precious little children, as maybe this hope will give some kind of meaning and reassurance to your bleak lives.

Humans need this kind of self-assurance, and they need their ignorance and incomprehension covered in a blanket of security provided by religion. Science will continue filling in the blanks presently filled in by hogwash. I am happy to see more and more thinking individuals come out of society, but it pains me to know how many are still swept in the lies of fairy tails and don't even understand the metaphors presented in their own religious beliefs. To think after all this time some people are still on this level is hard to believe, and somewhat depressing. How long will it take for this continued ignorance to cease?

P.S.: This is a pretty good link from the other post for those of you who claim the bible is the infallible "Word of God". Such an omnipotent entity would certainly not make that many mistakes in his own word, would he? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Evidence that God Exists? Stop it already.

These posts get so annoying to read after a while... if you don't have anything useful to post, go whine elsewhere.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 AM

I figure the link will be useful to those who missed it in the other post. You don't have a very high post count, why increase it with nonsensical whining about my own whine? If you dont like it, dont respond to it, and let it die. Its not like it would seem you do much responding anyway, why make the exception here?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 AM

Well...you aren't exactly opening up for debate here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You are making some claims about religion, explaining your views on science and reason and then you set religion aside, and call religious belief 'continued ignorance' and you describe people who believe the same way you do as 'thinking individuals'.

Most people who set their faith in science and empirical reason, like I do for instance, are also believers. We believe in rational explanations, empirical proof and deductive reasoning as ways to explain the world around us.

We don't 'know' anything more than any religous man does, (maybe even less, a religious person may very well be in the cutting end of a science) but the view we have is practical. It works, it may very well be right and maybe we can even use it for something.

But it would be 'ignorant' to fail to see the reasons why people chose religion as their belief, and to not have an open mind is the greatest threat to rational thinking there is. To boneheadedly bash a belief down is not something a 'thinking individual' should do easily.

And besides. The history of science, reason and empirical thinking is filled with 'fairy tales' and boneheaded belief. Maybe we should sweep that frontyard before starting to wave fingers around at others.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 AM

Well I do.

These posts are annoying.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:32 AM

This viewpoint you are espousing (and I am agnostic) is silly. There is fundamentally no difference between your modern day science and the science of aristotle or the belief system of ancient greeks. Yes, yours is more useful, but it is by no means very correct.

Saying "my belief system is more true than yours" is a silly thing to do. I can easily point out that for the last five hundred years scientists have been continually disproving eachother, time and time again. And fundamentally science, just like religion, relies on belief. Gravity is not proven (and is actually an incorrect expression of the curvature of space time), nor is any scientific principle, no matter how accurate it may appear at this time.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 AM

wait, so you think religion isn't true, and is just a blanket to humanity?

interesting theory
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Whew. Thanks for clearing that all up, and with only 3 paragraphs, and one link!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, so you think religion isn't true, and is just a blanket to humanity?

interesting theory

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a good portion of college thinking this. On a purely logical standpoint, it makes sense. Lots and lots of what religion taught in the past was geared toward keeping the general populace under control and alive. Why was it bad to eat pork back then? Probably because it had killed lots and lots of people! Ban it - problem solved.

As an agnostic and unsure of any higher power, it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion that organized religion around the world makes sense only in the fact that each developed to fit the specific needs of that particular culture at the time. As we all have advanced over the thousands of years, the answers that religion has provided have slowly broken down. The stories don't fit the 21st century. I always wondered why things didn't continually happen throughout history to keep up with contemporary time. That would certainly make things much easier to digest.

-Aqua
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying "my belief system is more true than yours" is a silly thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you contend that the preceding assertion is true?