Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: A variation of Pascal\'s Wager-Question for Non Believers

[ QUOTE ]

Point #1: This is probably the best response I've seen. Remaining true to your beliefs is, in its own way, a virtue. Outside of this, I fail to see a positive consequence for steadfastly maintaining atheism to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since "god" does not exist, there is no consequence "outside" of betraying my fundamental values. That is sufficient reason. And in any case, any attempt to "hedge my bets" will be viewed negatively by a just, rational "god."

[ QUOTE ]

Point #2: This is certainly a preposterous statement. Your thoughts seem to be: "Dear God. You do not exist. But if you exist in the Christian sense, you are evil." Since all Christian thought and theory fall are derived from the principle teaching of "Love God with your whole heart, mind, body, and soul; and Love your neighbor as yourself." This is truly the antithesis of evil. Nonetheless, I'm curious about what inspires these feelings in you, and would be happy to address any grievances you feel towards the Christian God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no grievance towards a meaningless concept. I was merely pointing out that to the extent that the Christian "god" is described by (some versions of) Christianity, he/she/it is, by my definition, evil -- regardless or whether Christianity supposedly also teaches to love thy neighbor and whatnot.

I don't mean this to degrade into yet another thread about how the Christian "god" is evil. I suppose if you really want, I can start (yet another) thread that lists all these reasons, as there are many.

[ QUOTE ]

Point #3: Though there is marginal benefit to the virtue I acknowledge in #1, I cannot see how God would value your perceived rationality over belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If "god" is good (and therefore rational), he will value rational men. (But not necessarily punish irrational men either, as he presumably knowingly created them that way as well.)

2. If "god" values belief over rationality, he is, by definition, irrational and evil.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: A variation of Pascal\'s Wager-Question for Non Believers

<font color="blue">Point #2: This is certainly a preposterous statement. Your thoughts seem to be: "Dear God. You do not exist. But if you exist in the Christian sense, you are evil." Since all Christian thought and theory fall are derived from the principle teaching of "Love God with your whole heart, mind, body, and soul; and Love your neighbor as yourself." This is truly the antithesis of evil. Nonetheless, I'm curious about what inspires these feelings in you, and would be happy to address any grievances you feel towards the Christian God. </font>

If the Christian God did exist, I can certainly see how one might consider Him evil. He holds humans under threat of damnation unless they show worship based strictly on heresay and for which there is not a single shred of observable evidence for.

It's like a trap. Why would a just God trick his beloved creations like that? Just come clean. Here I am. This is what I want of you. Why demand an irrational belief?