Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Fastest/Best way to build a roll for the upper-mid to high stakes

Feel kindof stupid asking this, but what's the best way to build a roll to properly play the 30/60 you guys keep taking about?

I play lower stakes, am comfortable playing 10/20...

The investment for just 200 Big Bets is $12,000! This, to me, is just too much money to go and deposit into a site...
The obvious answer is then to deposit less and build it up - yea I know...but how much and where's the best place/how's the best way to go about building the roll...
Assuming I could beat that limit for a profit/would enjoy playing that high regularly...

Isn't 30/60 full of pros?

Any advice/insights into how you may have built your roll appreciated.
(I tend to get greedy and cash-out my winnings and spend them, so I find it very tough to be able to
accomplish this task of amsassing a $12-18K roll).

Joe M.

Ps. If you think this post is funny or you think I'm a donk or idiot or whatever - fell free to insult. I am here for your entertainment.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Fastest/Best way to build a roll for the upper-mid to high stakes

people 'build' rolls for big games by beating small games.

sorry,but there are no shortcuts if you want to build a safe roll for 30/60.

if you aren't worried about going bust, then there are plenty of shortcuts [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 06:24 PM

How many tables are you going to play? If it's only one or two you don't need to deposit anywhere near 200 BB all at once. I'm assuming of course that you have the money and just don't want to deposit that much. That's what your post implies.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM

Build your role at 5-10 for a while. Those games are awesome, and then you can build a cushioned role so you can take shots every now and then.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 PM

I think most people build their rolls by grinding it out at the lower limits, it's best this way. You should start at the 5/10 level and go from there. The 30/60 tables are a much, much different game.

When I was playing 5/10 seriously from about a year and a half ago the games were ridiculously easy. I stayed there for a little bit and found myself winning a few very large MTT's. My goal at that time was to play the 15/30 but once I won the tournaments it was smooth sailing. I took a shot at the 15/30 and never looked back.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:09 PM

If you're asking for a get rich quick scheme, well, there is none. If you're asking about which stakes are the most profitable, I think that depends a lot on your own game. Some people will argue that 5/10, 10/20 SH is profitable, but if you've been playing full-ring games for 3 years, it'd be more profitable for you to just stick with those, rather than learn a whole new game.

By the way, on this site, 300 BB is considered the standard bankroll for smaller stakes, not 200 BB. I believe the reason for this is the increased aggression online. (It's much easier to click the "raise" button with 7-high than it is to throw in chips when you're at a real table.) From other discussions though, it seems like 300 BB is not considered enough for 15/30 and up. A lot of people consider 500 BB a good bankroll for the 15, 20, and 30 games.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 PM

craps...that's how TJ did it.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:32 PM

Don't feel stupid, you were smart enough to post, and sound willing to be flamed.

I have a ~$20K roll right now I built playing lower limits and I still dont like taking $1K-$2K swings at 5/10. I have played as high as 10/20. I am currently 4 tabling 2/4 at the beginning of each month and then working up to 5/10 as the month progresses. Oh btw I suck at poker. I have been playing online and posting here since 1999. Poker is my only source of income.

If you have other ways of replenishing your bankroll then you can definitely takes shots at 10/20-30/60 with less than 300BB.

Oh and don't go putting your whole roll into a site. Put in a couple buy-ins. Put some in a Neteller account. Put the rest in your Interest bearing checking or somewhere not so easily transferred if you are one to throw good money after bad.

Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 PM

ive made a lot of money playing 30/60 on the party poker network over the summer, my problem is that whenever I want to play on another site (usually at a higher limit) the deposit limits prevent me from transferring over enough money (especially at stars). I guess I could transfer a couple of thousand each day, but it is kind of a pain not to be able to transfer 10k at a time.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive made a lot of money playing 30/60 on the party poker network over the summer, my problem is that whenever I want to play on another site (usually at a higher limit) the deposit limits prevent me from transferring over enough money (especially at stars). I guess I could transfer a couple of thousand each day, but it is kind of a pain not to be able to transfer 10k at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have neteller, email pokerstars and you should be able to increase your daily neteller withdraw limit to 10K.