Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Look out, Vince. He\'s put him to the test!

Villian is an overplaying clown.

I butchered the turn pretty badly, IMO.

Thoughts on turn and river play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter

BB (t4240)
UTG (t605)
Button (t770)
Hero (t2385)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t600) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, BB calls t250.

Turn: (t1100) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t375</font>, Hero calls t375.

River: (t1850) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1400</font>, Hero calls t1400.

Final Pot: t4650
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Look out, Vince. He\'s put him to the test!

Bump. I think this is a fairly interesting hand/situation, but I think I'm being pwned by my own lame title.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 PM

I bet more on flop.

I lead turn. I don't like relinquishing betting impetus here.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Can you rationalize your reasons for not pushing the turn, or at least check raising all in? From another point of view, are you planning on folding the river if its a brick?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 PM

I wouldn't raise pre-flop. There's no real reason to get involved in a big pot with the one person that can bust you. Calling will make the big stack less inclined to try to take the pot away from you and it will also allow you to get away from the hand easier.

Given that you raised it, I'd probably bet a bit more on the flop since it's a draw-heavy board and I'd lead the turn. But yeah, overall I'm not a huge fan of really getting involved with this hand... not with 2 short stacks on the bubble.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:16 PM

overplaying in what sense. . .
as in he'll overbet when he catches any piece?
he'll call bets with any piece postflop?
he'll call preflop raises with a wide range and a big stack?

If it's the first and he likes to take the lead, then I think I c/r the flop. Wouldn't this sort of player reraise you preflop with a hand that hurts you here?

Your flop bet looks like a standard cbet, so he called it (with probably a weak piece or a draw)

Your check/call of the turn makes it look like you whiffed the flop but might be on some sort of a draw. Rarely does someone change gears and slow down in this situation when they are ahead and know it.

On the river you're only behind to a backdoor flush or AK. His play is somewhat consistant with a trappy AK, except for the preflop flat call. I think a blocking bet might have been preferable to another lead check. As for the way it played out? Hell, I don't know if I'd call that or not. The size of the other two stacks make a big difference in my action.

Also, funny how his river bet left you with t65 chips or so behind, huh?

IMO, I think your best line might have been to take the t250 flop bet and t375 turn call and c/r'ed the flop for t625.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise pre-flop. There's no real reason to get involved in a big pot with the one person that can bust you. Calling will make the big stack less inclined to try to take the pot away from you and it will also allow you to get away from the hand easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd just flat call from the SB? What do you do when the BB bumps it to t300 or so preflop? Fold?

Of course, Hero is a bit lucky here that the BB BS didn't RR push preflop with the stack sizes the way they are.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd just flat call from the SB? What do you do when the BB bumps it to t300 or so preflop? Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes. Understand that this isn't how I "play KQ on the bubble". But with small blinds, 2 short stacks that are near equal in size that I have FE over, one huge stack that I have no FE over, and bad position... I'd play very weak-tight from the SB.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 PM

With the BS to your immediate left and the fact that any PF raise you make will have to go thru him, are you just going to bleed your blinds down until one of the shortys busts? That could be a long time with the blinds at 50/100.

Just curious. I wouldn't consider playing weak/tight in this position until the BB BS turned aggro and made me think twice about "normal" play at this level.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise pre-flop. There's no real reason to get involved in a big pot with the one person that can bust you.

[/ QUOTE ]

hes right, no reason to raise

I also dont like the raise amount here, in my opinion, u have bad postion on the BB and KQ can be a tricky hand to play

I think if you are forced to play this hand, WITH a raise a two bet will do just as much a a three...so id rather u just doubled it...but your position was bad to begin with

if you just called and he didnt raise, you can be confident that your ahead of him on the flop and push more if he is a donk....