Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Fastest/Best way to build a roll for the upper-mid to high stakes

"after all these years of failure with get rich quick schemes, i just KNOW im going to get rich with this scheme. and QUICK!!"

Barron
Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 PM

Have very rich parents suddenly killed.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 PM

Thanks guys for your help/advice!
I am specifically trying to build up the roll I'm talking about on PartyPoker.
I tried their 5/10 tables a couple of times and got frustrated - I had
trouble beating them due to the ridiculous aggression (couldn't tell the pure bluffs from the monsters) and the fact
that the 5 and 10$ bets mine as well be 5 Cent and 10 Cent bets to some of the players that reside there...
(no way to get anyone to fold when you want them to/lack of "fold equity" in hands I believe the term is...).
I have been successful beating 5/10$ on other sites, but I've failed on Party...

I tried their 10/20 a little and that seemed a little better...

I am also currently trying to get better at Stud b/c it seems there's some money to be made there...(extra round of betting...)

For a site like Pacific Poker, if you deposit $500. for 5/10 play that's MORE than enought to amass a huge roll...you take that $500 to 800-1000 and then take a shot at 10/20 - If you do OK then you're pushing 1500-2K and can somewhat safely play 15/30 too...

On Party, though, am I doing something wrong? Or do you need to put in $500 times 3 (3 seperate deposits) just to have a
shot there?
I read somwhere (I think maybe here) that Party 5/10 stinks/is horrible and is not really beatable? any opinions? (I know
5/10 is consider to be small stakes, but it's relevant in our discussion as
a "stepping stone" to the Mid-level games...).

1 last question: anyone here beating 100/200 online?

Joe M.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 AM

Okay, this last post is very alarming. There are key poker concepts that you're clearly not even aware of. These sites are not slot machines that pay out in various ways; every table has nine different kinds of player on it, plus you. And I guarantee that anywhere above $2/$4 you're going to be the sucker who thinks there's some trick to getting his results to go up, besides simply paying more attention and playing better.

As if having the GPS to give you precise yardages, and other local knowledge, is going to cure you of that horrible duck-hook off the tee.

Play eighty thousand hands below 5/10 before tackling it; your success at other sites is pure chance and will end, leading to one certain outcome, unless you start learning the game of poker for itself.

JimmyV
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 AM

You are not beating the game. Wake up or donate.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are not beating the game. Wake up or donate.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this do you mean you think I'm not going to be able to beat the Party 30/60 I'm asking about playing?

Or do you mean I'm not beating the current games I'm playing and just lying about it?

Pls. let me know and also let me know why or how you came to this/these conclusions,

Thx., Joe M.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, this last post is very alarming. There are key poker concepts that you're clearly not even aware of. These sites are not slot machines that pay out in various ways; every table has nine different kinds of player on it, plus you. And I guarantee that anywhere above $2/$4 you're going to be the sucker who thinks there's some trick to getting his results to go up, besides simply paying more attention and playing better.

As if having the GPS to give you precise yardages, and other local knowledge, is going to cure you of that horrible duck-hook off the tee.

Play eighty thousand hands below 5/10 before tackling it; your success at other sites is pure chance and will end, leading to one certain outcome, unless you start learning the game of poker for itself.

JimmyV

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jimmy,

I acknowledge I have something to learn here, as I've been unable to beat the Party 5/10.
What concepts am I unaware of?

Just give me a few tips if you can/would be so kind.

I'm going to try again to play at Party, so I've got to try to be more prepared to play against ultra-aggressive players who cap against me with
King high, cold-call 3 bets cold to see the river with a single-card inside straight draws, etc.

Joe M.

Ps. I'm not a totally new player who just started playing last month, etc. I've been playing for about 14 months now and have had profitable months each month - so I'm not a losing player. I do not use statistical tracking software, etc., but I played (mostly single tabling) for about 20- 30 hours a week over this 14 month time (however many hands this turns out to be). Not claiming to be very experienced or anything, just stating some facts (that will hopefully lead to some good advice from yall...).
And about my Party experience, I haven't really sustained play there - haven't even come close to reaching the long-run...I just deposited 400-500 bucks, took a shot, lost it, and did this a couple of times...One time I ran up 400$ to about $1000. then swung down to about $200. and left - the Party 5/10$ just seemed too hard to me is all - again, I'm not
used to players being ultra aggressive with their garbage hands/total bluffs...
Take care,
Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many tables are you going to play? If it's only one or two you don't need to deposit anywhere near 200 BB all at once. I'm assuming of course that you have the money and just don't want to deposit that much. That's what your post implies.

[/ QUOTE ]

.... Variance does not decrease with fewer tables.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

JimmyV

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I strive to all of this and I still suck,lol People think this sh*t is easy????
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
craps...that's how TJ did it.

[/ QUOTE ]
you mean he won a couple of big buy in tournaments, played some craps and now has a 30-60 BR?