Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Are you able to tell/admit a player is better than you?

I think this is kind of interesting. We're all pretty good at spotting the mega fish at the table. But, its hard to admit when a player is better than you. Its often hard to notice cause you don't see your opponents cards on the hands they folded, and bluffed and won.

I've noticed some players on party were really good, but its usually few that i really notice, and it usually takes a lot of hands for me to realize this. I've played some hands with Bartholow, and I don't think i've won one yet. He bluffed me out of trips, and always calls when I'm bluffing.. Ya, I should know not to bluff a calling station. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was chatting at a table today with a player who was playing shorthanded with someone I believe to be one of the best posters on here. The guy I was chatting with apparently cleaned out our hero for more than a buy in.. I said, "wow, that's impressive, he seems pretty solid." This guy responds "Average at best.."

Its easy to tell who's tight, who's loose, but its hard to be honest with ourselves when our opponent squeezes an extra bet against us, or folds a marginal hand.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Are you able to tell/admit a player is better than you?

I know a few of the good players at $10/20 Stud 8/b. I have no doubt that some of the posters here are them. I keep vigorous notes - since so many hands in Stud 8/b go to showdown, you have a wealth of information of betting patterns and starting hand requirements, plus what they complete with as their Ace door card and position in which they do so.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, its hard to admit when a player is better than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't come up yet. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 11:58 PM

I think my ability to admit that many people play better than I do has kept me out of some very bad spots. This weekend, I played some 80-160 Hold Em and can tell you for a fact that two or three pros at the table play better than me, two a bit better, one much better. The thing is the other 6 opponents ranged from mediocre to plain horrific and that's what I'm looking for. I play the games that look like they have the best profit potential within my roll. I have gone down to AC to play a specific limit game and sat only to find it blew or was just marginally profitable. So I left and played 40-80 or 20-40 or whatever looked good. This sucks if your stuck an amount that won't be easy to recoup in another game. But I think my ability to do this and looking at the end goal and an HONEST assesment of my ability has vastly helped my bottom line.

Jeff