Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Default 15/30, Queens up with a Dilemna

$2 ante, $5 bring in.

I bring in for $5 with (QQ)2, a queen calls, a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls, 6 calls, and A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds.

Fourth street, it gets checked around to me, I bet, and all fold except the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which catches a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

On fifth, I make an open pair of treys, (i hate that word), he catches a K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I lead, and he calls.

On sixth, I catch another rag, he catches A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I'm first to act, what's my play.

My opponent is typical.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 15/30, Queens up with a Dilemna

I'd probably check it and bet the river if he checks behind, since I can find a fold if he raises there.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM

check call 6th.

River plan depends on your catch.

I think you should forego betting because if he has any pair he's gonna call. Yes you might give a free card to 55AK but, he might bet anyway. And if he bets he charges himself.

But since he'll have outs if that is what he has you'll only be able to extract about 1/2 of a BB in expectation if you're ahead. But you'd throw away alot more if you're behind KK55 or AA55.

So, check and hope you are ahead and that he charges himself.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:15 PM

I definitely agree with check/calling 6th. If he's smart he'll take a free card with a 4-flush, but most people autobet there.

[ QUOTE ]
River plan depends on your catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning check/call if you don't improve and check/raise if you do?

Bet/3-betting the river if you fill and bet/folding if you don't is an intruiging option if you know you opponent well enough so that he will call with two pair, raise only with a flush, and probably check behind a smaller two pair.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Results

I bet and folded to a raise. I think check call is the right line. I guess the thing I should have mentioned is that I was last to act on fourth street, it could have appeared I was bluffing.. oh well.

at the time, I kind of felt that if I was raised, given that I had an open pair, etc... that if he raised he was unlikely to be bluffing, and would expect me to call.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 PM

On 6th, he can have(1)a flush,(2)2 pair, most likely A's up or K's up,(3)a pair with the A & K kickers,with or without hearts, or(4)a pair of A's or K's, with or without 4 hearts. I don't like your chances against this range of hands. I check.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Results

You were almost certainly facing aces up or a flush (or a hidden hand) when you got raised on sixth, so you didn't give up much by laying down. I do think the line I proposed, check/call sixth, bet/fold to raise on river (unimproved, of course) is better -- it gives you a chance to suck out if you are behind and still get a value bet in there if you are ahead.