Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Playing middle pair in 3 or 2 way pots

(.5/1 stakes)
I am trying to figure out a good way to play middle pair against a variety of opponents. I usually like to bet out middle pair on the flop in a 3 way pot or heads up. I am looking for lines for a 3 way or heads up situation on the flop and then you get one caller for the turn. I guess you would play them differently if you more draws are possible.

Against the passive-weak opponent out of position I would bet the flop and then check the turn if I got a call. I figure he has something that beats me since his calling range is small. Plus he might check and give me a free river card. If I bet I figure he has already 'said' that he has something and will call again with his top pair or raise with something better. If he bets I would fold. Similiar in position, I'll check on the turn and see the river.

Against an opponent that has balanced aggression and a balanced calling ratio, I don't know how to play the turn. On the turn out of position, if you check they are likely to bet and then what? Suppose you could bet the turn too out of position, but you may likely be beat. But then how to the play the river? Likely check on the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Playing middle pair in 3 or 2 way pots

in 3 way pots, my default is to check fold. there would need to be other mitigating factors for me to bet/call/raise. such factors would be, pot raised preflop, narrow hand range for opponents, board texture, position, pot/implied odds etc. but check/folding is fine in most instances since the hand sucks.