Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 06:38 PM

Default river question

other player is somewhat fishy in that he plays too loose preflop and makes weird moves. raises the turn a lot in an attempt to get you to fold. he's a higher limit fish so has some moves in his bag of tricks.

it's 3 handed and OP raises on button, I 3 bet AhAs in SB, bb fold and OP calls. (7sbs in pot)

flop: Ts 4h 6h
i bet, he raises, I 3bet, he 4bets, i 5bet
(8.5 bbs in pot)

turn Ac [Ts 4h 6h]
i bet, he raises, i 3 bet he calls
(14.5 bbs in pot)

river 9c [Ac Ts 4h 6h]
I bet and he raises.

how much action should I plan on giving on this river?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:01 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: river question

there's really only 1 combination that makes any sense, and I think a set would be willing to go a couple more bets, so I think this is an easy 3-bet and a probably 5-bet
Old 10-29-2005, 07:05 PM

am i reading this right? you only lose to 78? i would go all in on the river
Old 10-29-2005, 07:08 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

87 is double gutted. 8h7h has to become obvious at some point
Old 10-29-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

87 is double gutted. 8h7h has to become obvious at some point

[/ QUOTE ]

touche.

i would want at least 3 bets to go in on river
Old 10-29-2005, 07:18 PM

my immediate thought was 87, but that goes down in my mind because he raised the turn after all that action on the flop full well knowning you're not going to fold.

i'd pop him one more time.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:15 PM

I could see him putting all the bets in on the flop, and then making a move on the turn by playing the ace at you with something like 69 or T9. 78 is of course another possibility.

I think best line here is to put another raise in and call if he capps but I think your going to see two pair from this player more often than the straight despite the results of this hand.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Default results and thoughts

On the river I had to try and put him on a hand where he figured he could beat me. He's not raising to get me to fold. Given the way i played what hands can he put me on that he still feels confident he beats. 8h7h beats me for sure, but can i put him on enough other hands to make a raise worth while? Given that I have the Ah there are many 2 pair hands he could have putting me on a hand like AhKh or AhQh. He's got to figure i might give the same big action with that draw and then improvement to top pair on the turn. He could have Th9h, giving him a huge flop and then maybe he tried to scare me out on turn and improved to 2 pair on river. i think it's more likely that he has TT or 66 or 44 that convinced himself to slowdown on turn and then thought about getting an extra bet out of AT or Ah with another big heart. It's also hard to put him on 87 since there's no bluff half of a semi bluff on the turn and given the 5 bets on the flop i'm clearly not folding the turn. Anyway, i 3 bet, he 4 bet and I called. He had 8s7s. I think he clearly over played his hand and that I had to pay off the river. 5 betting is also imprudent given the action.
I posted this hand because i got stuck waiting for my brother at the gym and had 10 minutes with nothing to do but think about this hand. I started to wonder if I lost 2 more bb on the river than I should have. My gut told me to 3 bet at the time and it's nice to see that just calling the river raise isn't and obvious or even correct play.