Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 PM

Default When should I start taking notes?

I don't bother taking notes at $25NL 6max, because I basically never run into the same guy twice. I'm usually able to remember their habits/tendencies during the session. When did you guys playing higher stakes start taking notes on players which made a difference (since you sit with them many times)?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: When should I start taking notes?

I play at your level, and I make notes, but only a few. Normally something like "bets draws", or "slowplays AK" or something like that. I have found them to be useful, especially while 4tabling (you can forget which people did which in 4 tables (well, I can)).

PAHUD takes care of the rest.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 AM

It's a good habit to get into, it forces you to pay attention, and every once in a while you will run into the same guy.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:50 AM

If oyu ever change sites (yeah yeah, why would you) many of the others have shitty enough selection that you will 4 table with 50% of the players at two or more tables. I run into the same people ALL THE TIME in 25NL and 50NL and the notes help a LOT.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 AM

Taking notes is just good practice: it forces you to give more attention to your oppos.
Also instead of just playing the cards, taking notes is one of the first steps towards playing the players.
The more you move up, the more you need to play the players (as opposed to only the cards), so you need to learn the skill of reading player's betting patterns and other tells (B&M).
Therefore I believe it is never too early to take notes, even if they are simple ones.

Even though I am only a nano limit player, I spend a lot of attention to taking notes. Nothing sucs more then losing your entire stack against a tight a$$ nit who only goes allin with the absolute nuts, TWICE.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

I've never made use of any notes.