Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Matt Matros article from Card Player: AK and Fold Equity

After this size reraise, the pot is large enough that if you hit an A or a K and play it reasonably (i.e. bet 2/3 pot on the flop and get called), you'll wind up with a roughly stack-sized pot no matter what you do and your opponent is almost forced to play the pot the same way with pretty much any decent holding (including a set or decent draw). For my reasoning, see my post above.

If you're going to hit an A/K on the flop and just fold to anyone who calls your flop bet, why even bother playing the hand at all?

M
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Check turn for pot control reasons, call reasonable river bet if lead into, value bet if checked to.

If you run into an opponent who fires every time you check the turn, then you should be able to exploit that tendency by checking the turn with your stronger holdings.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:03 PM

i think he was referring to late in tournament play as the scenario given had Hero at 15 big blinds at the start of the hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 PM

seems simple enough. pfr has a wide range. you have a hand only dominated by AA/KK and is a near coinflip to many of his other holdings. given the shallow stacks pfr may even be inclined to call a push with hands that we dominate such as AQ and he may be disinclined to call with hands that he has an equity edge over us such as 77.