Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:37 PM

Default SNIPER MOVE

I just had this happen to me. Made me sick. But I'm thinking it could be a good move.

I raised preflop from early position like 4x the BB. Giving away a decent amount of info about my hand (KK).
The guy to my immediate left calls with 47 suited.

He goes on to hit a 4 and a 7 on the flop and since it is a rainbow with no flush or strt out there I pay him off thinking top pair Queens.

I could have given him credit for the set but I didn't. Maybe this isn't a good move but it extracted a lot of my chips. Does anyone here do this? Make a statistically bad move once in a while to take a stab at someones stack? just wondering
Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: SNIPER MOVE

yes. all the time.

it's called implied odds and they are the reason i am successful at NL hold 'em.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes. all the time.

it's called implied odds and they are the reason i am successful at NL hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 4x the BB wiht 47 isn't implied odds imo, it's donkey. You'd have to be 100% certian you could get %100 of your opponents chips into the middle everytime you hit it, otherwise... just... no. Are you telling him to start playing 47?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:45 PM

How many players were in this? What type of action?

Assuming he takes a placid line against you, then it isn't a fault of yours, and he can have my money too.

But honestly, how often will he get this?

Cambraceres
Old 12-10-2005, 05:45 PM

I wasn't saying start play 47. But in a situation where a player gives away too much info about a hand by the way they played it, may it be correct to take a stab with less than the best cards?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM

It was 5 handed, and it was a pretty donk move. Later the same thing happened but i had QQ and he paid me off with top pair 10s.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't saying start play 47. But in a situation where a player gives away too much info about a hand by the way they played it, may it be correct to take a stab with less than the best cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all i doubt that they can narrow your hand range down that much just because you raised 4x bb preflop. their line of thought was probably something like "[censored] he raised, but i'll call because they're soooooted!". then the flop comes Q74. "sweet bottom 2 pair, i hope he has AQ/AA/KK. i'm going for broke here".

secondly, if you're truly playing against opponents that can narrow your holdings down to a very narrow range of cards after 1 street then either start raising a wider range of hands preflop or play against opponents that aren't this good.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes. all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 4x the BB wiht 47 isn't implied odds imo, it's donkey. You'd have to be 100% certian you could get %100 of your opponents chips into the middle everytime you hit it, otherwise... just... no. Are you telling him to start playing 47?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on stack size and position plus opponents' tendencies postflop. for example if he raises very wide preflop and i have position i can justify calling it sometimes knowing that he won't be able to stand a flop or a turn raise from me.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 PM

That's why small pairs can be played against raises (they hit more often and win more often than junk 2-pair hands) and suited connectors (flush/straight/2-pair).
Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM

The difference between 47 and 45 is not really all that much. It is infact two straights; and that is all.