Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 AM

Default I\'m done with PLO

*for those of you who don't want to hear this sorta vent please skip*

Anyway, I can't handle the variance in this game anymore. I just lost what I think was a thousand against well let's just say fish. These fish raised/reraised every pot regardless of their cards (yes they showed down hands like 1010102 after a raise and even a reraise). Bet the flop regardless of their cards. Bet the turn regardless of their cards. Magically catch every river against me some crazy runner runner (last one being a gutshot) straight when I was trapping on the flop and had them dead to those runner straights (or backdoor flushes--but those never came).

This game is making me insane and I'm just going to stop playing it cause I really can't handle losing to players that bad. I lost every hand to those guys and it made me realize I can't handle this as much as it's happened to me. I don't think I play that bad in this game but I just have been running so bad here that I don't know if I can take it anymore.

You PLO guys who can handle this kind of stuff day in and day out impress me cause I can't believe that you wouldn't go insane as a result.

I admit it; I lost more money than I gained (which is the only game for me this is true in--ironically my best game statistically is PLO8...lol)

I got two outered twice, four outered five times, and one outered once when I had my stack in. Can't even nutpeddle without major swings I guess.

gutshot miracles (or runner runner straights) have happened to me more often than not when I've had my whole stack in omaha and I'm left to wonder why me... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

There, hope I actually stick to it and not go back to playing a game I obviously can't take anymore.

I hope you winners don't get the same bizarre luck I get.

edit--I should explain that this wasn't the type where there were that many potential redraws out there. And even if there were, I knew that the other player wouldn't have that many of them since they went nuts with any draw really.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: I\'m done with PLO

It seems you've been taking the worst of it. Just wanted to add that an aquaintance of mine took a break from poker. He couldn't stand the fact that he had lost with a full house twelve times in a row - playing NL Hold'em!

I don't think that crazy bad luck comes with a certain game.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:48 AM

I think I have--I have analyzed my play numerous times and I can't think of much to change in it. Every big wrap I raise huge get callers of whom I think have two pair and maybe bottom set and the board pairs probably 60% of the time on the turn (with a 20% total blank, and a 20% hit but everyone then folds to my bet... lol). I know that's not correct but I'm so darn sure that's accurate. (and I'm not the type to overexaggerate factual stuff)

There was a day where I had the nuts plus nut redraws in every pot and lost them all to the same type of hands. Some people just love their straight draws (gutshots included) even if they don't have a flush draw to go with it. I just wish I didn't get stuck in these situations calling with odds to catch back on them cause I probably hit.

(but I'm sure that a lot of people will say that I'm doing something wrong and I'll keep analyzing but I just can't see it)

I probably only play this a few times every month but I know I at least have taken a pretty good beating. I'm sure there's something I could do better but I don't think it would have made a difference in any of the previous outcomes except I probably wouldn't have lost as much but I would have lost equity.

But omaha with four cards is much easier to catch than holdem is so I know these things happen I'm just done with the pain of losing that much in that amount of time with what I had that's all.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:04 AM

Which limit is this and which site?

If you can't handle it and therefore don't play your A-game you do need a break/quit.

But that game is very profitable and yes also high variance.

If you keep playing that game with a big enough bankroll you'll end up a big winner.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 AM

yes we are a stolid breed! if a little spell of bad luck like you described phases you you definitely need to find another game.

either that or start playing every day! after a month i promise you'll be laughing at bad luck. hmmm wait, on second thought a lot of the people i play with haven't mastered that skill yet. my way was to play the horses for 20 years first, try that and you will really know how bad luck can be [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 AM

You either haven't been playing long enough since this s**t happens all the time especially in Omaha or you are not the player you think you are. What do want, a table full of really good players so they can beat you playing really well?