Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Confused with KK

My student played this hand yesterday, and it confused us both. He was playing a $3 rebuy sat to the stars guarentee and was in second place with about 180k with 30 people left, and 21 seats given out. The blinds are either 4k/8k or 6k/12k when he picks up KK in MP. The big stack (over 400k) who likes to pick up chips even though it doesnt matter limps under the gun and a 150k stack limps in MP. There is a real chance of UTG reraising all-in with any two if the action is reopened. Now what?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Confused with KK

i haven't played many sattelites. any chance he doesn't get the seat by folding every hand?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My student played this hand yesterday, and it confused us both. He was playing a $3 rebuy sat to the stars guarentee and was in second place with about 180k with 30 people left, and 21 seats given out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here (not really) but you can fold PF.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:52 PM

He's in if he folds out, but I'm not sure that means this is a fold.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Well I think the round is pretty important, if he is in 2nd place with about 15 BBs, what is the average stack? Is folding in out of the question? With 20+ BBs it gets a bit more complicated. With 15 BBs I like a push here, don't give a mid Ace a chance to see the flop. With 20+ I don't hate a limp and fold if an ace hits, concidering it is a sat and you are in pretty good shape.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does if you're pretty sure of it, simply because if he's almost guaranteed to get in if he just keeps folding, he has nothing to gain by playing.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few weeks ago, I'm the far and away chip leader with 14K in a Full Tilt 14+1 sat. With 14 left, 6-7 got seats and the average was something like 6K with 120/240 blinds (edit: I think the second place had 10K or something). Someone with 7K limped UTG, I had JJ in LP and decided to flop a set for the first hand I'd play in 3 orbits since I was bored.

The flop came J76r. UTG bet 240 into a pot of 720, I raised to 960 and she called. That wasn't part of the plan.

The turn was a 9, putting 2 spades on the board. She checked, I decided this hand was over right now and put her all in for another 5K into a 2.5K pot. She pretty quickly called with AJ of spades, hit one on the river and suddenly I had to play again. (I got the seat in the end but not before having to bluff her out of a couple of flops.)

Fold PF. I know there's some $EV/hour issues here but really, just fold it.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM

So does he get a refund for this session?

Anyway, I don't think I would push here. If big stack wakes up with AA or Ax or just feels like getting every chip (as you infer) then is it really worth getting knocked out of essentially a sure thing 20-40% of the time?

If you put in the standard raise you'd still be in good shape if not quite as comfortable.

Why not just limp and take it from there? A set will get you enough to fold in with ease. A favorable flop and you can take it down. I dont' want to be too weak, but with the big stack throwing his weight around, there's not much to gain by the confrontation.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest fold ever if you are sure of this. I'm really surprised to see you questioning that.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Ok, folding is clearly a good option, I just think that limping might also be a good one. The point is that you hopefully get to call a shortstack all-in if one is coming. If not then you arent risking enough chips to put you in jeopardy.