Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: does anyone remember \"george\"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
> Tonda would be proud.

You are wicked.

-Ange

[/ QUOTE ]Who is Tonda?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think david might know something about DERB and the whole slovenian thing that we dont
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 AM

"Some experts deliberately play a few extra hands, and then use their superior playing skills to catch up. They still lose money on these additional hands, but these hands allow them to make a little more on their legitimate hands due to the additional deception that they create."

"lol, is this a joke mason? have you read any of the DERB threads at all?"

The words in the book still understate the facts (deliberately, for the sake of 99% of our readers.)

Some great players play quite a few more hands and show an immediate profit with some of them. The worst hands are advertisng for the others. And if they play even more hands still, their lessened winnings will sometimes be masked by higher volatilty. I hope you guys aren't all making the mistake I have frequently warned against, confusing obvious mistakes with costly mistakes.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:16 AM

He's only playing less than 1 more hand per orbit, is he not? This could simply come from something like always completing in the small blind; or a Shania thing like elindauer (I think) posted about recently where he might always play A4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP, or something similar to that.

I don't think the HPFAP quote is too far off from what is happening here. Take what I say with a grain of salt however as I'm in the 'never played with him before' boat.

I'm referring to this, link
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
> Tonda would be proud.

You are wicked.

-Ange

[/ QUOTE ]Who is Tonda?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think david might know something about DERB and the whole slovenian thing that we dont

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried to move this whole side of the DERB debate to new thread in News, Views & Gossip, where it probably belongs.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: How Does Derb Play?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He will makes lots of crazy plays for pots, like 3 betting the turn with Ace high. The thing that makes him seem so awful at times is that he will frequently not give up after his crazy play. He will 3 bet the turn with almost nothing, and when the other guy caps it he calls down anyway. This works to his advantage sometimes- his opponents will cap the turn with middle pair sometimes when he actually has the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone were playing a perfect game theory version of poker, calling down and bluffing randomly to achieve this, wouldn't A LOT of their plays look really bad, taken in isolation?

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with this is no perfect game theory version of poker has been developed...I'm working on it though :-P
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Abdul's wife.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
> Tonda would be proud.

You are wicked.

-Ange

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I have this feeling we're all here for the entertainment of Mr. Sklansky and Mr. Malmuth.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some great players play quite a few more hands and show an immediate profit with some of them. The worst hands are advertisng for the others. And if they play even more hands still, their lessened winnings will sometimes be masked by higher volatilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay attention.

1. There's not a consensus this person is a big winner.

2. There's not a consensus this person is a huge favorite.

3. Alluding to an experts ability to add more hands (ie, make mistakes in hand selection), and play them expertly postflop and thereby confuse his opponent by having a greater possible range of hands is orthogonal to the contention gestured at here: an expert may add more hands and make postflop mistakes (ie, make mistakes in hand selection and play) which confuse his opponent. The classic example from the Ferret paraphrased is that if you went nuts with AA and 72s whenever you were UTG, you'd make more money with your AA. Or, perhaps more relevant to the case at hand, so you tilt cap the turn heads up with 6 outs because you are pissed that the guy 3bet your semibluff turn raise -- this may be good thing (it is suggested by some) because you get more action elsewhere and cuz maybe it's +EV getting in the last raise even when it's -EV because chicks dig the long ball, etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: How Does Derb Play?

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with this is no perfect game theory version of poker has been developed...I'm working on it though :-P

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, maybe not perfect [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But maybe coming a lot closer than anyone else has figured out yet.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some great players play quite a few more hands and show an immediate profit with some of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a 'correction' I thought about making to Mason's post, and figured that you both already knew that. I guess I was right.

~D