Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: How Does Derb Play?

I'm looking at a database that contains 589 hands where DERB showed down a hand.

I agree with Astroglide that hands selected in isolation are not the best way to learn how a player plays.
That being said, I still want to post one to give a concrete example of his style.

There are 4 AKo's in this DB. I'll pick the only one of the 4 that he lost.

1. PP Hand #714375379

It's a 9 handed 15-30 game.
DERB is in the Big Blind.
1 Off and 2 Off the button are posting.

PREFLOP:
4 Folds, 1st Poster checks, 2nd Poster raises.
Button Folds, SB calls, DERB 3-bets, 1st Poster folds,
other 2 call.

3 Handed, 10 SB in the pot.

FLOP:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB Bets, DERB raises, 1 off cold calls, SB 3-bets, DERB caps, 1 off folds, SB calls.

2 Handed, 20 SB in the pot.

TURN:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB Bets, DERB calls.

24 SB in the pot.

RIVER:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB Bets, DERB Calls.

28 SB in the pot.

SB shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
DERB shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Sorry to post in this thread because I have never played against this guy, but I am very interested in this. Is there any hands you have seen where this guy gets paid off by weak players with marginal hands against his strongs ones?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:15 AM

If you want a representative hand imagine 3 people to a flop 1 folding on the flop and the other folding to DERB's turn bet/raise. Who knows what he had.

-f
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Default does anyone remember \"george\"?

"george" was a blackjack computer that would keep a perfect count and give the prefect play at all times. a friend of mine procured one from THE Jerry H. in the ealy 80's. the thing worked perfect and gave plays so strange that everyone thought you were a donk but you were playing perfectly. the problem was you attractged attention to yourself by doing things like hitting 17 and doubling on 7 and soon enough some wonk would count you down. i mentioned before that a bot could quickly calculate hand ranges based on known history. with this knowledge the first out of line plays to show up would be "strange" cold calls and thin value bets...sound familiar?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: does anyone remember \"george\"?

[ QUOTE ]
"george" was a blackjack computer that would keep a perfect count and give the prefect play at all times. a friend of mine procured one from THE Jerry H. in the ealy 80's. the thing worked perfect and gave plays so strange that everyone thought you were a donk but you were playing perfectly. the problem was you attractged attention to yourself by doing things like hitting 17 and doubling on 7 and soon enough some wonk would count you down. i mentioned before that a bot could quickly calculate hand ranges based on known history. with this knowledge the first out of line plays to show up would be "strange" cold calls and thin value bets...sound familiar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the Slovenian government funds poker players/research and assuming a good part of these players are associated with Izmet Fekali and his group, this is a definite possiblity.

___1___
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: does anyone remember \"george\"?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or simply a winning bot that makes some mistakes.

That would definitely be a plausible explanation.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He will makes lots of crazy plays for pots, like 3 betting the turn with Ace high. The thing that makes him seem so awful at times is that he will frequently not give up after his crazy play. He will 3 bet the turn with almost nothing, and when the other guy caps it he calls down anyway. This works to his advantage sometimes- his opponents will cap the turn with middle pair sometimes when he actually has the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone were playing a perfect game theory version of poker, calling down and bluffing randomly to achieve this, wouldn't A LOT of their plays look really bad, taken in isolation?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:30 AM

I could put up some hand histories but like other have said, it does not really show what DERB's game is about.

Personally from what I've seen of him, he is very aware of his image and has a very solid meta-game theory.

I think his game theory is based on loosening up his opponent's postflop standards into incorrectly playing in future hands, since DERB will often make jam the flop/turn with marginal hands, other players will notice this and adjust by getting very aggressive with marginal hands since you would be correct to do so IF DERB played like this at all times which is not the case.

Hence I believe his preflop mistakes and often postflop mistakes of 2-3BB are made up by the action he is returned due to his image in future hands where derb will play his hands according to how his opponents have adjusted to him while they would not re-adjust.

I often see people putting in 4 bets on the turn with TPTK against DERB without considering what gear he could be in and who he's up against.

Also I see people assume there is no fold equtiy against derb after seeing him showdown a few really ugly hands, but that's not the case either since he will often laydown to river bets but again depends what gear he is in.

Not to mention when DERB pulls these insane moves on the flop/turn, he may also run you over in addition to possibly of making you adjust incorrectly against him in future hands. Or even better, could put a poor player on tilt!

There is a lot more I want to write about the subject, but going to have to save it for a time when I can write my thoughts properly, hope this short summary of my view helps!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could put up some hand histories but like other have said, it does not really show what DERB's game is about.

Personally from what I've seen of him, he is very aware of his image and has a very solid meta-game theory.

I think his game theory is based on loosening up his opponent's postflop standards into incorrectly playing in future hands, since DERB will often make jam the flop/turn with marginal hands, other players will notice this and adjust by getting very aggressive with marginal hands since you would be correct to do so IF DERB played like this at all times which is not the case.

Hence I believe his preflop mistakes and often postflop mistakes of 2-3BB are made up by the action he is returned due to his image in future hands where derb will play his hands according to how his opponents have adjusted to him while they would not re-adjust.

I often see people putting in 4 bets on the turn with TPTK against DERB without considering what gear he could be in and who he's up against.

Also I see people assume there is no fold equtiy against derb after seeing him showdown a few really ugly hands, but that's not the case either since he will often laydown to river bets but again depends what gear he is in.

Not to mention when DERB pulls these insane moves on the flop/turn, he may also run you over in addition to possibly of making you adjust incorrectly against him in future hands. Or even better, could put a poor player on tilt!

There is a lot more I want to write about the subject, but going to have to save it for a time when I can write my thoughts properly, hope this short summary of my view helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its starting to sound like DERB is the Anti-Tommy.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its starting to sound like DERB is the Anti-Tommy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy Angelo : So there I was playing 30/60 at Bay 101 when this Slovenian guy walks in

Imagine the fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]