Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 06:58 AM

Default God Created Us \"In His Image\"?

Just curious what that is supposed to mean. I doubt that even most religious people take that statement seriously. But for those who do (and that seems to include Not Ready), I'm curious what they think that means, especially considering his "infinite nature".

Is he three dimensional?

Is he higher than three dimensional but his three dimensional "shadow" is like us?

Does he use legs to stand on something? Is there gravity where he is?

Does he have a pancreas? Eyes?

I mean cmon. I could ask an endless number of questions like this that make the "in his image" comment seem ridiculous in light of other attributes he is supposed to have. So to those who believe that comment, what gives?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: God Created Us \"In His Image\"?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

I. "IN THE IMAGE OF GOD"

"Of all visible creatures only man is 'able to know and love his creator'. He is 'the only creature on earth that God has willed for its own sake', and he alone is called to share, by knowledge and love, in God's own life. It was for this end that he was created, and this is the fundamental reason for his dignity."

Man has both a spiritual and a corporeal nature, and it is the spiritual nature that was made in a likeness of God, that is an eternal soul, though of course not a mirror image of the infinite godhead. And of course the second person of the Trinity took on the same corporeal nature as His creatures during His life on earth. If I remember correctly, the mormons actually believe that God the Father also has a corporeal body and produced Jesus through physical generation with Mary, though I do not consider them christians because of such theology among other doctrines (although they provide a better example of living according to christian morals than most).
Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 AM

Thank you. I've realized for quite a few months now that Catholics are the least nuts of all the Christians. But I still get the feeling that other denominations besides Mormons (by the way why didn't you capitalize it?) believe differently than you.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 AM

No insult intended by lack of capitalization as I don't capitalize "christians" all the time either just like I didn't in that same sentence.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:08 AM

Good. Because I can't stand insults.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've realized for quite a few months now that Catholics are the least nuts of all the Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a case where familiarity with the subject would change your viewpoint.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've realized for quite a few months now that Catholics are the least nuts of all the Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a case where familiarity with the subject would change your viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

What David is familiar with are all the protestant posters who have debated with me over the past few months and shown that they cannot express a coherent system of beliefs that does not contain internal logical contradictions.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:27 AM

How proud you must be.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 AM

Not proud, just thankful.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I've realized for quite a few months now that Catholics are the least nuts of all the Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that they believe when they take Communion, that the bread turns into the ACTUAL flesh of Jesus, and the wine turns into the ACTUAL blood, right? That's pretty nutty... even from a Protestant point of view.

But, I agree... besides a few "weird" things like that, Catholics seem to be more rational in regards to most things. Jews seem to be the more rational then them, though. Mormons? They are like Protestants, but with an extra book.