Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Dear Christians: why doesn\'t god DO something?

[ QUOTE ]
TEACHER: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
TOMMY: Yes.
TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
TEACHER: Did you see God?
TOMMY: No.
TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there. He doesn't exist.

A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions. The teacher agreed and the little girl questioned the boy.

LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the tree outside?
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
TOMMY: Yessssss (getting tired of the questions this time).
LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
TOMMY: Yessssss.
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
TOMMY: Yes
LITTLE GIRL: Do you see the teacher's brain?
LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!

[/ QUOTE ]

TEACHER: So, by deduction, Tommy, does the LITTLE GIRL have a brain?
TEACHER: Ah, so let's test that.
(teacher takes out an axe, and proceeds to split the girls skull open, revealing a brain)
TEACHER: But, look, Tommy. There's the brain right there. Do you know what that shows us?
TOMMY: What?
TEACHER: That the LITTLE GIRL's assertion was a testable hypothesis that is demonstrably false. My statement that God does not exist, is no more or less true than her assumption that he does -- since it's not a testable hypothesis.

[ QUOTE ]
A Creator God, if He exists, must, by definition, exist beyond the limits of the universe in order to have created it. The laws of physics tell us that we cannot make measurements beyond the limits of this universe. Therefore, scientists can conclusively determine that we cannot ever detect God using any of our instruments.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE tell that to all these "Intelligent Design" pseduo-scientists trying to teach Creation in the science classrooms.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that example wasn't meant to say you can PROVE the existance of something you can't see, but rather the opposite: If you can't see something, that doesn't prove that it doesn't exist. The vice versa is true as well ... just because you THINK you see it, that doesn't mean it exists either.

As for the OP original question. I'm reminded of a quote I once heard ... it basically goes: If a bunch of non-believers saw some incredible miracle, they would either claim it was faked (either staged/computer graphics/etc/etc), and not believe. In the same way if you brought a bunch of christians to the beginning of time to witness the physical creation of the universe, they would say its "God's Hand at work".

In the end, no one is going to convince anyone of anything. It is your own personal conviction. No miracle is going to convert you, and no "logical" argument is going to change my mind.

BTW, thought I'd mention: "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah." Take it as you will.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TEACHER: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
TEACHER: Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
TEACHER: Did you see God?
TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there. He doesn't exist.

A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions. The teacher agreed and the little girl questioned the boy.

LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the tree outside?
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy do you see the grass outside?
TOMMY: Yessssss (getting tired of the questions this time).
LITTLE GIRL: Did you see the sky?
TOMMY: Yessssss.
LITTLE GIRL: Tommy, do you see the teacher?
TOMMY: Yes
LITTLE GIRL: Do you see the teacher's brain?
LITTLE GIRL: Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!

[/ QUOTE ]

TEACHER: So, by deduction, Tommy, does the LITTLE GIRL have a brain?
TEACHER: Ah, so let's test that.
(teacher takes out an axe, and proceeds to split the girls skull open, revealing a brain)
TEACHER: But, look, Tommy. There's the brain right there. Do you know what that shows us?
TOMMY: What?
TEACHER: That the LITTLE GIRL's assertion was a testable hypothesis that is demonstrably false. My statement that God does not exist, is no more or less true than her assumption that he does -- since it's not a testable hypothesis.

[ QUOTE ]
A Creator God, if He exists, must, by definition, exist beyond the limits of the universe in order to have created it. The laws of physics tell us that we cannot make measurements beyond the limits of this universe. Therefore, scientists can conclusively determine that we cannot ever detect God using any of our instruments.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE tell that to all these "Intelligent Design" pseduo-scientists trying to teach Creation in the science classrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best argument against ID in the classroom is this:

try this on for size
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Christian god apparently wants us to believe in Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God could not reveal His entirety to us without causing major problems in our universe. The sudden appearance of dimensions and matter(?) from outside the universe would destroy anything in the vicinity and maybe even destroy the entire universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, where is this stuff coming from? Perhaps you need to auther "The Physics of God" or something because you seem to think you know something about it.

Furthermore, do you not think that your omnipotent god could prevent the destruction of the universe due to the "sudden appearence of dimensions and matter", or is he bound by the laws of physics in your version?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Christian god apparently wants us to believe in Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. him.

him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him him

her, while we're at it.

awwwwwwh, am I in trouble now or something?

let's see him strike me down tonight. That would give a little insight. I'll give you another update tonight to let you know that I'm still alive, and that god, if he exists, doesn't have the balls or the common sense to do something that is suggestive of his existence.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Default did you read the question?

God has revealed himself, but doesn't anymore. That is his point. If god had never done anything to reaveal himself your argument may have some sense.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Christian god apparently wants us to believe in him.

Fair dues.

But why doesn't god do something big like he used to do back in the Old Testament days? We live in a world where secular medicine saves lives, we can launch men into space with technology, instantly communicate with our buddies on the other end of the world, and in fact blow the world up if we really, really want to.

God has an old book, and a handful of easily discreditable "miracles," and that's supposed to make us believe.

Come ON! We live in a new day and age, why doesn't god lay the smack down and give us something impressive to believe in? Let's see some crazy ass clear manifestation of God in the sky...you know, like they had in Monty Python movies. Maybe turn the seas into blood again. Maybe a massive healing of an epidemic accompanied by something truly signature of divinity; not a statue bleeding chicken fat.

Hell, David Blaine drives a more convincing argument than Jesus.

So seriously, why doesn't God SHOW himself through something believable to a skeptic? He did it in the old days, why not now?

[/ QUOTE ]

The universe could not continue to exist if God did not chose to keep it in existance. the mere continued existance of the universe is therefore evidence of Him keeping His hand in. What greater feat and evidence of His existance can there be beyongd keeping a whole univese ticking over?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is so much wrong with this argument, I don't even know where to begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...total crap. Soorry there was no sarcasm emoticon to add to the end of my post
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: did you read the question?

[ QUOTE ]
God has revealed himself, but doesn't anymore. That is his point. If god had never done anything to reaveal himself your argument may have some sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the point is, why doesn't God do anything cool anymore? I'm talking about parting seas, not just the miracle of a rainbow or something.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I was an agnostic for 33 years, I did not believe that you could have a relationship with God. Since 1988 I have been experiencing the joy of the fellowship of the Lord and I want the same for you. Don't wait! Get your questions answered and come to faith based upon the facts, and enter into the joy that cannot be found through anything else in this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else think that this sounds like a pitch from a vacuum salesman. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]