Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM

Default A hand worth a discussion

Villian(CO) is LAG bordering on maniac. Stats after 50 hands : VP$IP 68 / PFR 35% / PFA 6.8

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($24.75)
MP1 ($13.9)
MP2 ($10)
MP3 ($24.75)
CO ($56.75)
Button ($36.53)
Hero ($34.5)
BB ($31.7)
UTG ($19.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.85.

I make a loose flop call OOP hoping to isolate CO after flop.

Flop: ($4.65) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $8.

I lead out seeing where the table is at. I make another loose flop call. CO had been man handling the table and overbetting the by extreme amounts several times. Also making obnoxious raises pre-flop 20x-30x BB.

Turn: ($24.65) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $23.40 (All-In), CO calls $23.40.

I push here. I figure I'm either already ahead, but if not I have a LOT of outs. All my heart outs I believe are clean as well, so I'm not too woried. I give villian about a 55/45 call/fold ratio here. That combined with my outs and the slim possibility I'm ahead has me push.

River: ($71.45) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $71.45

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: A hand worth a discussion

Did you put villain on a hand, or were you just going to call this one down no matter what? The only thing I like about his hand is your push on the turn. You should have potted the flop or check raised it. Your weak bet is just bloating the pot, one inwhich you are OOP and only have middle pair. You wanna take it down there. The only thing really going for you is that CO is portraying the image of a bully and your hand *might* be good. What did you think about his flop raise? Its up to you to make a read (based on past table action -- have you been paying attention?) Without reads, I fold. Simply for the reason that there will be a better time to tango w/ CO. And plus your hand isn't that strong.

its been a while since I've been on the 25NL tables, but I wouldn't be shocked if he showed you a flush.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you put villain on a hand, or were you just going to call this one down no matter what? The only thing I like about his hand is your push on the turn. You should have potted the flop or check raised it. Your weak bet is just bloating the pot, one inwhich you are OOP and only have middle pair. You wanna take it down there. The only thing really going for you is that CO is portraying the image of a bully and your hand *might* be good. What did you think about his flop raise? Its up to you to make a read (based on past table action -- have you been paying attention?) Without reads, I fold. Simply for the reason that there will be a better time to tango w/ CO. And plus your hand isn't that strong.

its been a while since I've been on the 25NL tables, but I wouldn't be shocked if he showed you a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

My initial read was Jx - which could be any kind of kicker based on the hands I was seeing villian play. My initial flop bet was only to see where people were as there were other people to act and my hand wasn't that great. When I'm raised on the flop I change my read to Kx, so I know I'm behind to something. The turn push is my biggest question. Considering that I'm likely behind against a laggy opponent and I'm only 50/50 happy with it, how good is this play really? Villian showed Js, 5s and I took down the pot, and he made several comments about how he liked the turn push. Go figure.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:13 PM

Bump. This hand isn't really that interesting? No one has comments on the push? Oh well. Chip spewing or good read, such a fine line.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump. This hand isn't really that interesting? No one has comments on the push? Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really pretty ugly and not at all how i would have played it. it's so different there's not much i can say about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Chip spewing or good read, such a fine line.

[/ QUOTE ]

true.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 PM

I reraise preflop to 5-7. (If I think I will get 1 or 0 callers.)

The way you played it preflop I bet more on the flop and fold to the raise.

The push seems fine to me if you think there's a fair chance he'll fold.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My initial read was Jx - which could be any kind of kicker based on the hands I was seeing villian play. My initial flop bet was only to see where people were as there were other people to act and my hand wasn't that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Initial read when...? Are you reading his PF call as Jx? If so, you could control the poker world.

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm raised on the flop I change my read to Kx, so I know I'm behind to something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, and you called his massive raise because...you knew you were going to hit runner runner here? Again, total domination of the game with this knowledge.

Please explain how any of this makes sense, and how this isn't just a horribly played hand that worked out in the end with a lot of luck.

-T
Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 PM

&gt; The way you played it preflop I bet more on the flop and fold to the raise.

And then what do you do to the call? Come out betting more on the turn, or check and see what he will do? That is where I get messed up. I can either throw money keep betting getting called growing the pot to his better hand, or show weakness and most likely have him make a bet I can't call.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bump. This hand isn't really that interesting? No one has comments on the push? Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really pretty ugly and not at all how i would have played it. it's so different there's not much i can say about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let me help. I hate the pre-flop call, I would have raised and here's why... or that turn push is horrible, this this and that. It's called discussion. You may learn something.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My initial read was Jx - which could be any kind of kicker based on the hands I was seeing villian play. My initial flop bet was only to see where people were as there were other people to act and my hand wasn't that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Initial read when...? Are you reading his PF call as Jx? If so, you could control the poker world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. Good question. This hand is purely based on my reads of villian. When I say I placed him on Jx, this of course is a 'loose read'. Like I said he'd been over betting second pairs quite often. I read the flop raise as another move to force people off the hand. It's not really that big of a stretch in this situation. Against any other opponents I'd drop this hand.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm raised on the flop I change my read to Kx, so I know I'm behind to something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, and you called his massive raise because...you knew you were going to hit runner runner here? Again, total domination of the game with this knowledge.

Please explain how any of this makes sense, and how this isn't just a horribly played hand that worked out in the end with a lot of luck.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to clarify that I thought it was 50/50 that villian had Kx. I still have a slight possibility that I'm ahead. My thinking is that if I called the bet and pushed on the turn, that I had a decent shot of getting villian to drop the hand OR catch a good turn card that gave me a lot of possibilities, which is what happened. Again, against most opponents I wouldn't play the hand this way. I'd fold the flop raise or even pre-flop.

I understand that most people on this forum have problems with a hyper-aggresive style of play. I know it's easier to sit back with a 15% VP$IP and play ABC poker. I'd rather develop my reads at this level and experiment while the poker is cheap.