Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Flopped flush and everyone goes crazy

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (19.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Not sure about 3-betting the turn here. Extra credit if you can guess what SB showed down.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Flopped flush and everyone goes crazy

SB's smooth call 2 on the flop twice and check/raise turn on a semi-blank = I probably don't 3bet.

From your tone, I think SB is playing a straight. I wanna know what MP3 hand...2 pair I guess?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Without reads, at $0.50/$1 I'm guessing that MP3 had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x and SB had Q9o, with or without one of those being a heart. I'd keep pressing the turn, though, if I thought I could get MP3 to fold a weak flush that beats me (which, naturally, is unlikely at microlimits).
Old 06-27-2005, 05:41 PM

SB had Jh Tx.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:47 PM

HU I wouldn't 3bet this turn. With MP3 along with something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -X (8 or 10 perhaps thinking his TP Flush Draw was good on the flop) I like it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see SB show an Q9o straight, since it's the J on the turn which woke him up.
Would really suck if he had J-10 and filled up on the river.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:53 PM

My handreading must suck.

[ QUOTE ]

From your tone, I think SB is playing a straight. I wanna know what MP3 hand...2 pair I guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Without reads, at $0.50/$1 I'm guessing that MP3 had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x and SB had Q9o, with or without one of those being a heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dingdingding, that was quick. I never once suspected Q9o (to his credit the Q was a heart), just figured after he capped the turn i was up against either a set, jacks up, or a better flush and cry-called the river when board pairs. I put MP3 on the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x on the turn, maybe even with a pair, the way he was calling down the two of us and folded the river, but who knows?

Keep the opinions on raising or calling the turn coming, very insightful.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM

On a 3-flush flop against two opponents who may have a single heart, you would have had a lot more equity if you cold-called the flop bet (also enabling you to better protect your hand on the turn). Turn and river look OK.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 PM

That doesn't seem right. Assuming each has a single heart they're both drawing to 6 outs, giving me 3.2 to 1 equity while only contributing 1 to 2 to the pot. I really don't think protecting against a high heart will work on the turn, whether I call the flop or raise. Don't I have a big enough edge to be raising if I was absolutely sure each had a single heart? Its the other possibilities that really scare me.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Even if you called on the flop, the other two would still have odds to draw to a flush getting 5.5 to 1, so I agree with you that you should just push your edge. I'd be most worried about being against a higher flush, but if that happens, that's just one of those things. I think the way you played it is good, except on the river maybe raising would be better. It's hard to say because on the one hand it will cost you a bet when you are against a set or a higher flush, which are hands that rationally you should be worried about. But it seems like so often people will show down something like A8 that it might be worth it.

I find myself slowing down like you did not thinking it's possible that someone could be so stupid to not have anything after so much strength has been shown, but time after time this happens. Like a hand I played recently had 6 7 9 T showing on the board, and I had an 8 and after capping the turn and being raised again on the river I just called thinking for sure the other guy must have had an 8, and might have 8 J. So I didn't re-raise, and the guy just had 2 pair, and was upset that that didn't win, and I'm thinking "What'd you think I had?"

Anyway I think the way you played was probably correct, but I'm curious if raising the river might be better given the range of hands people will play the way this one was played. You would think people couldn't possible play so badly with something like a straight or 2 pair on a board like this, but they do.