Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The blinds both fold and utg+1 3- bets
Fold 14 21.21%
Call 47 71.21%
Cap 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Folding big-slick pre-flop

I'm not being smart.. I'm being very serious. It doesn't happen often but when I'm pretty sure from previous experience that someone has aces, I lay down AK in a heartbeat. What I'm saying is your instinct says you are 90% sure... so why are you doubting it now?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:29 AM

And if you want my opinion, I think the reraiser has QQ/KK/AA/AK, and the caller could have a slightly more open range since he expects you to call as well.

I feel better about calling if my AK is suited, because some of my ace/king outs may be dead. Plus, I'm out of position with respect to both of them.

But I go back to what I said earlier.. if your instinct is telling you that you're up against aces.. even if you're only 50% right... it's an easy muck.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:23 AM

Not looking at the other posts here...

Honestly, if you were really convinced that he had aces, then I think you made a good laydown. It's important to trust your instincts. In my experience, every time that I've felt that I was beat but called anyway... I was beat.

And I think reraising with Ace King is terrible. If you want to see a flop, I would call.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:34 AM

What an easy FOOOLD.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 AM

IMO you are just giving these people too much credit. Against 2 tight, reasonable opponents, yes I'm thinking of folding here. But generally, without a read, I don't think my opponents at Party 25 are tight enough to fold AK preflop here. If you had no reads, I'm calling here but am worried and playing very very cautiously postflop. Given that villain is an LAG I'm calling here and thinking that if I hit an A or a K I'm likely ahead(but still playing somewhat cautiously postflop especially against CO).

Bottom line, you don't have enough information from these 2 people to think that you are behind, and you are being offered a pretty good price to see the flop(and closing the betting).

EDIT: and if this was played tonight(Saturday) then you simply can't fold this with the usual line up of monkeys that litter these tables.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Very happy with the fold

You raised 6x and got a big reraise. Easy fold. You may be ahead, but I think it's a question of how you can play the flop.

You're only going to hit the flop 30-odd% of the time, that's if no one else has an A or K (unlikely). LAG will bet the flop, regardless of his hand. The smooth caller could hold anything. If you're confident seeing an A high to the river against heavy action with two in the pot, you're a better player than me.

Add in the fact that you "sense" AA, and fold is a no brainer. The marginal pot odds here aren't relevant (1 in 3 (at best) chance of flop hit, putting $2.50 into $10 pot), because an A or K flop may not be the best hand in this situation.

Save your 10BB call for limping pocket pairs and flop a set instead. There are better situations for getting 10BB in the pot.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Very happy with the fold

[ QUOTE ]
You raised 6x and got a big reraise. Easy fold. You may be ahead, but I think it's a question of how you can play the flop.

You're only going to hit the flop 30-odd% of the time, that's if no one else has an A or K (unlikely). LAG will bet the flop, regardless of his hand. The smooth caller could hold anything. If you're confident seeing an A high to the river against heavy action with two in the pot, you're a better player than me.

Add in the fact that you "sense" AA, and fold is a no brainer. The marginal pot odds here aren't relevant (1 in 3 (at best) chance of flop hit, putting $2.50 into $10 pot), because an A or K flop may not be the best hand in this situation.

Save your 10BB call for limping pocket pairs and flop a set instead. There are better situations for getting 10BB in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree and that's exactely how I saw it. Why am I going to throw my money into a marginal situation, one in which I may indeed losing a lot if my instinct is correct.

Villian did indeed have AA.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:39 PM

this is easy fold for me.

you are out of position and will hit A or K 1/3 of the time where hitting it might not be good.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:03 PM

I say fold, and here is why:
1) go with your instincts.... if you think he has aces, then go with your gut.
2) what 2 hands can they have that you will be a favorite. I see you winning a small pot or losing a big one to aces, kings, or someone's set.
3) fold here and lose 1.5... AK will come again. Call and you lose 5.5, thats a lot more money to put into a marginal situation
Old 05-08-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is easy fold for me.

you are out of position and will hit A or K 1/3 of the time where hitting it might not be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been suprised at the poll results, but now more people are finally saying fold. Yesterday it was like 12:1 call. I guess people at this level overplay big slick and forget why it's called big slick.