Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Can I get away from this set?

I played live for the first time tonight - 1/2 no limit holdem. Table is fairly LAGgish. Villian is very loose preflop and pretty aggressive. He's the big stack with about $1000 and is bullying the table with big raises - but he's shown down some good hands and busted a few people. I have about $280 in front of me, and a tight table image. I'm UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise to 20, folded around to villian in small blind who reraises to 55. I call, the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Villian checks. I bet 50, he pushes all in. I call. I cry. Any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Can I get away from this set?

My deep and insightful thoughts: That's poker. He could easily have AK. It happens...
Old 05-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Well, it comes down to this... is he very loose preflop with his reraises?

Generally speaking, I'm going to have to be shown a set of kings here. Set over set is pretty rare, so when it happens you have to suck it up and pay it off. The way I look at it is, it happens equally both ways.

I assume he did have KK from the title of your post and the way you ended it. Bad luck... but you can't be folding a set of queens here barring some incredible read you have on him. Keep in mind he could also have AA and slightly less likely AK... and if he's being loose he might even have KQ.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:25 AM

well yeah, I know. I'm not crying bad beat here. I'm just wondering if I made a bad move calling an all-in bet with the second best set from someone who had showed preflop aggression and then checkraised me all in on the flop like that. Should I have seen it coming and folded, or would that just have been too weak?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 AM

You have to ask yourself, "wouldn't he play AA the same way?" and by all means he would...I don't know if he'd check-push with AK but they're possible
Old 05-08-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played live for the first time tonight - 1/2 no limit holdem. Table is fairly LAGgish. Villian is very loose preflop and pretty aggressive. He's the big stack with about $1000 and is bullying the table with big raises - but he's shown down some good hands and busted a few people. I have about $280 in front of me, and a tight table image. I'm UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise to 20, folded around to villian in small blind who reraises to 55. I call, the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Villian checks. I bet 50, he pushes all in. I call. I cry. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't fold QQQ there. Bummer. Rebuy.