Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Bet this river?

2nd orbit at the table so no specific reads. Villain in this hand has not gone past a flop yet nor has he shown any aggression at any time.

I'm sure people will tell me I must raise AKo in EP every single time I get it but I disagree. Normally, I will raise it; this time I didn't.

What do you put villain on and how much do you bet on the river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($151.45)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($467.7)</font>
UTG+2 ($390)
MP1 ($372.1)
MP2 ($381.25)
MP3 ($190.1)
CO ($354)
Button ($453.1)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($426.4)</font>
BB ($545.4)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $4, Button calls $4, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($20) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $15, BB folds.

Turn: ($50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, SB calls $35.

River: ($120) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Bet this river?

yea i bet this river, his play here is too passive if hes playing a monster.

i think your looking at AQ, AJ, A10 more times than your running into an over slow played 4
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM

How much? I think my river betting needs some work in general. It looks to me like he's calling down with an ace but I don't know how much more I can get out of him.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:50 PM

60-70 range, i doubt hes calling much more than this, its probably all he can afford calling down an ace, but if he raises.. well your in deep [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 08:54 PM

it does look like an A calling you down, but could be a straight draw that missed. i'm half tempted to check-behind, but i think that's a leak in my game. i'd say a value bet of $75 would be called by an A.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:15 PM

I knew I should bet but couldn't come up with a good amount. Then I wussed out and checked behind. My reasoning was that my long pause might encourage him to make a check/raise bluff that I couldn't call. That, and I really wanted to see what he had (not a good excuse). I have tons of hands in my database for the 1/2 game but haven't done any datamining on the 2/4; in truth, I only sat there because the waitlist was shorter. He had A2s and MHIG.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:28 PM

I would have checked the turn ... and either called a reasonable bet from villain on the river or value bet the river if checked to, hoping to get called by a weaker ace.

Why did you bet the turn? What ever happened to keeping the pot small with only TPTK??
Old 05-07-2005, 12:22 AM

preflop: limping with AK sometimes is fine don't sweat that.

river: I would probably check behind at 400nl and up (absent some kind of read that the player is very passive). Why? Because an aggressive thinking player is going to put you on top pair and push you off it often enough that it'd -ev. I mean, how many donks call down with a shitty ace at this level? myself for example, if I saw someone bet $75 into this pot i might make a big check raise with my missed straight draw and watch them bend.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:27 AM

I think villian generally speaking has an ace here. Most of the time you're ahead.. he certainly can't think you have a big kicker with your ace.

However, getting check-raised here would be bad. You already got a good "value bet" in on the turn, so just check behind and see what he tables.

Since it's not a raised pot, SB could almost have any 2 cards as well. I'd feel a little better about value betting if it was raised preflop. (btw, I think limping with AK is fine as well, not picking a bone with that)

Normally, my MO is to check the turn here and induce a bet on the river that I can call. But again, since you got the bet in on the turn, I feel fine with just checking behind here. Since stacks are still very deep compared to what's in the pot... can't risk a check-raise. Yeah, I'll go with the check.