Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Capping with KQs

Hero is UTG+1 with KQs
UTG limps, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, UTG calls. 3-bettor only has one more SB on the table, hero caps.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Capping with KQs

I like it, 3 better in this circumastance has such a wide range of hands that you most likely have the best hand. I make this sort of play whenever it comes up.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:09 PM

looks ok
Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Sure. Short stacked opponents tend to spew the last few away with crap anyway.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is UTG+1 with KQs
UTG limps, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, UTG calls. 3-bettor only has one more SB on the table, hero caps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, depending on UTGs limping range
Old 08-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Why would you cap here when you are virtually guaranteed to get the short stack's bet if you hit anyways? To scare UTG? Unlikely if he's calling 2 cold back to him with a possible reraise behind him. Call, hit your flop or bet UTG off his hand there, and hope you beat the all-in of the short stack. Putting more bets in the pot that are almost certain to be subject to the short stack's all-in "free" draw is unwise.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you cap here when you are virtually guaranteed to get the short stack's bet if you hit anyways? To scare UTG? Unlikely if he's calling 2 cold back to him with a possible reraise behind him. Call, hit your flop or bet UTG off his hand there, and hope you beat the all-in of the short stack. Putting more bets in the pot that are almost certain to be subject to the short stack's all-in "free" draw is unwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you want to get more money in PF against a worse hand from UTG, and maintain control in the hand postflop?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you want to get more money in PF against a worse hand from UTG, and maintain control in the hand postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite likely UTG is ahead of you here with a junky ace or a PP. You beat KJ and K10 from UTG in this spot ...

Furthermore, you've been the raiser PF against UTG. Control is irrelevant vis a vis the short stack. You will maintain control over UTG by virtue of your initial raise and your position postflop. Capping accomplishes nothing.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite likely UTG is ahead of you here with a junky ace or a PP. You beat KJ and K10 from UTG in this spot ...

Furthermore, you've been the raiser PF against UTG. Control is irrelevant vis a vis the short stack. You will maintain control over UTG by virtue of your initial raise and your position postflop. Capping accomplishes nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since OP didn't give any reads or table conditions, I think you can assume an average small stakers online UTG limper, where KQs is usually a far stronger hand. I'm a tight player, and if I limp UTG it's a suited ace or PP, that doesn't mean we should automatically assume he'll play the same. Also, if this player knows anything about hand protection, which I think your average player does, he'll be more likely to fold the flop if he doesn't hit, so why not get more money in while you can.

So that's my thought against an unkown limp, if he's a tight player, of course just call.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since OP didn't give any reads or table conditions, I think you can assume an average small stakers online UTG limper, where KQs is usually a far stronger hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I orginally was going to include reads but thought it might be better as a general question. Surprised me a little that people give the 3-bettor no respect. I do not see people "spew the last few" that often.

My reason for capping was that if I was behind the 3-bettor I'd be able to start building a sidepot on the flop, instead of throwing that one SB to the 3-bettor.