Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Loosing the first couple of hands...

Unless you've already established that 1k hands is your perfected length of session, then start playing with your session size a little bit. Try playing a single table 50-hand session. Then try a two-table 200-hand session. The fact is that you have to concentrate on every hand as if it your only hand of the session.

If you are habitually spending the first 200 hands of every session "getting used" to solid poker, then you are sacrificing EV on these hands. Instead, spend this time away from the tables putting your head into the correct playing mindset. Review some hands, browse 2+2, observe a table before you sit, etc.

On top of all this, you likely have a small sample size and selective memory regarding this issue. I've heard you can download a program called tilt-blocker that prevents you from seeing your stack size at the table. Another option is to always buy in for random amounts, making it harder for you to recognize whether you are up or down, or to continue adding chips to the table until you are no longer sure of how much you are up or down.

My "standard" buy-in at 1-2 is $60, but sometimes I'll buy in for $42, or $67, or $80. Sometimes when I drop below $60, I'll top off with another $32. This seems to work for me.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: lOsing the first couple of hands...

[ QUOTE ]
I meant <font color="red">loosing</font> in the 200-300 first hands. not loosing 200-300 hands totally

[/ QUOTE ]

You have proven that this is not a typo and that you are indeed retarded.

Analyze the psychology of that.

Merry Christmas!

-ZEN
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is somewhat similar to my pattern. I begin slow and lose, in the middle I also lose some, but at the end I usually finish with a big flurry of losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you have found a low variance style. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will try a few of your suggestions instead of reading 2+2 after a session which I usually do and getting used to the table before I actually sit down. I will have to play a few thousands of hands using this and I will report back if it works.

Zen: WTF?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: lOsing the first couple of hands...

[ QUOTE ]
You have proven that this is not a typo and that you are indeed retarded.

Analyze the psychology of that.

Merry Christmas!

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably just the avatar, but I really like this guy!