Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Default If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

Say, as a % of those who watch the superbowl. Assume WC final is on @ peak hours.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
Say, as a % of those who watch the superbowl. Assume WC final is on @ peak hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a % of those who watch the Super Bowl? That's a tough comparable. But I'd say 70%.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer. I cannot wait for things to get underway in Germany. There is so much pride on the line, country vs country (compared to the somewhat boring in my opinion, olympics). The ultimate battle of nations is the World Cup. Hopefully, the US can continue to improve their showing in the World Cup.

Folks do yourself a favor and watch the World Cup.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer. I cannot wait for things to get underway in Germany. There is so much pride on the line, country vs country (compared to the somewhat boring in my opinion, olympics). The ultimate battle of nations is the World Cup. Hopefully, the US can continue to improve their showing in the World Cup.

Folks do yourself a favor and watch the World Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

We ruled last time. Don't forget that. We have scoreboard on a LOT of countries.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I can never understand why soccer fans desire Americans embrace the sport.

Our population prefers "Amercian" football and most of us don't care if anyone else likes the sport.

Same thing with Canadians and hockey. They seem to be desperate for Americans to learn to love the game. I don't know why they care who likes the game and who does not.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I can never understand why soccer fans desire Americans embrace the sport.

Our population prefers "Amercian" football and most of us don't care if anyone else likes the sport.

Same thing with Canadians and hockey. They seem to be desperate for Americans to learn to love the game. I don't know why they care who likes the game and who does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it feels a bit cheap to win something that we are not interested in. We all know that if soccer was big in the US, the US would dominate - just like any other sport we care about.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We all know that if soccer was big in the US, the US would dominate - just like any other sport we care about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about that. Nobody else cares about the sports "we" care about (football, baseball, basketball). So of course "we" dominate these sports - nobody else really plays them.

Soccer is played by almost every nation and I don't think any one nation could ever really dominate the sport over a long period of time.

I don't know much about soccer, but from the little exposure I have been subjected to it seems there are a handfull of countries who consistently turn out the best teams (Germany, Brazil, Italy, England ?). But nobody really dominates the sport. I don't think the US could ever dominate this sport because of the democratic nature of the game.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 AM

I think basketball and baseball are pretty big sports world-wide. Maybe that's why we don't dominate them like we used to, though.

Maybe we wouldn't "dominate" soccer, but I am pretty sure the US would be more likely than any other country to be the best team. I think the way the WC is set up you'd have to be MUCH better than everyone else (or very lucky) to dominate.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Soccer is played by almost every nation and I don't think any one nation could ever really dominate the sport over a long period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, wrong. THere is a reason that only 7 nations have ever won the title, and that 5 have ever won multiple titles. So I think that would definetly mean that a small group of nations could dominate year-in-year out

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about soccer, but from the little exposure I have been subjected to it seems there are a handfull of countries who consistently turn out the best teams (Germany, Brazil, Italy, England ?). But nobody really dominates the sport. I don't think the US could ever dominate this sport because of the democratic nature of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you don't know much, so don't try to pretend that your opinion is rooted that much in fact. YOu make an observation about how few nations dominate, and then try to say that the democratic nature of football lends itself to this not happening. Football is very undemocratic and is driven by money. It is a testament to Argentina and Brazil for them constatnly churning out some of the best players in the world when their domestic clubs are raided all the time of their best players to bigger european clubs
Old 10-15-2005, 11:07 AM

I think there would be quite a bit of interest here if we made it to the WC. Interest in soccer would die down shortly after, though.