Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Growing Pains? my bankroll is suffering

Hello all,

Ever since reading WLLHE and SSHE(still reading), i feel like my bankroll is suffering. I guess it's due to the fact that when i first started, i would chase the draws and river them.

Question for the seasoned poker players out there, when you first started playing poker again after reading books, did your game turn around instantly? as in, you were consistently winning?

Maybe it's just variance, but i havent had a winning night in ages.

Also, how do you know when to end a session? For instance, played yesterday, started with $50, after mayber an hour, I had a little over $200. Do you end the session there? or keep playing? Maybe i am just being greedy knowing that i've lost so much in the past that i go into every session trying to make all of it back. I guess that's where discipline comes into play.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Growing Pains? my bankroll is suffering

Nope, inevitably it takes some time for the things you have read to sink in. You may think that you are applying something correctly when you are making a mistake. Also, I find that I'm slightly torn between how I used to play and the book play. I'm sure it leads to some less than stellar decisions.

As far as a session, if you feel comfortable and the table is good, keep playing. The main reasons to quit are if you find yourself tilting, bored, or just out of it otherwise. I do tend to set a stop loss because some days it just goes wrong.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM

I was reading something Danial Negranu wrote about deciding how long to play/when to quit. His rule of thumb was to choose a length of time to play and when the time was up to quit regardless of whether he was up or down.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM

In fact, it's not uncommon to have bad sessions and poor play after reading about new concepts. The problem is that you're often trying to implement those new concepts without really understanding how they should be implemented. Thus, you play incorrectly. But after you've tried them out awhile, they will sink in and you'll know how to use them properly.

Of course, simple variance can be at play also.

As for when to stop, you should stop when you're done playing. That is, if the game is good, keep playing as long as you want to. If the game is bad, for some reason, then stop playing no matter how stuck you are.

There is nothing wrong with stopping when you're way up - even if the game is good - if booking a big win will give you a psychological boost. Certainly you may win more money if you stay, but the confidence you gain may make you more money later. As for a stop loss, this is also a psychological issue. I don't set one if the game is good; if I'm feeling fine and the game is good, I reload and continue. If the game is bad, you shouldn't be in it no matter how you're doing.

Regards,

T
Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading something Danial Negranu wrote about deciding how long to play/when to quit. His rule of thumb was to choose a length of time to play and when the time was up to quit regardless of whether he was up or down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't doubt that Daniel has this discipline. He seems like a generally well-disciplined player. Personally, I prefer to play until I either have to go for some reason such as another engagement or until I'm tired and not playing my best.

If you know when you're game is slipping, honestly, then you don't need this sort of time stop.

Regards,

T
Old 08-30-2005, 12:14 PM

These are all great replies.

I think i may be trying to rush into the concepts outlined in the books and trying too many things at once. Another part of the problem is actually remembering so many hands that i've played and going back to the book to read about it.

Gonna take it slower, section by section.

How do you guys feel about this? for instance, concentrating first on pre flop play only as outlined in the book.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:43 PM

if the game is good and you are playing well and feel you can win more, keep playing
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Just curious what limits you are playing - sounds like something in the neighborhood of 3-6 or 4-8.

Perhaps you should consider stepping down a level until you feel more comfortable with the concepts you are reading. That way, you will have less concern about your bankroll and can focus just on playing correctly.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what limits you are playing - sounds like something in the neighborhood of 3-6 or 4-8.

Perhaps you should consider stepping down a level until you feel more comfortable with the concepts you are reading. That way, you will have less concern about your bankroll and can focus just on playing correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing 3/6 limit. That's a good idea though.
Would you recommend maybe 2/4 or 1/2?
How bout even lower?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing 3/6 limit. That's a good idea though.
Would you recommend maybe 2/4 or 1/2?
How bout even lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

That all depends on your comfort level. You should have a bankroll of at least 300BB, IMHO, especially when you are just starting out. So if you are going to play 3-6, then you need a bankroll of $1800.

I am currently playing .25/.50 with a bankroll of $150. I could probably afford to put a little more into my roll at this point, but I don't want to until I feel more comfortable with my game.