Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-31-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Betting hard at a good draw on the turn

MP1 plays about 50% of all hands, and calls to the river with nothing. BB just posted.

Kind of curious what the thoughts are on my turn play here. I'd have played it more cautiously if I didn't have MP1 around to sweeten the pot. With both draws, and top pair, I figured I could raise for value.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 12-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Betting hard at a good draw on the turn

I like this.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 PM

Not my style. Fold preflop, IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 PM

This is spew. If he just has a better top pair than you, you're a dog. No reason to bloat the pot like this. Best case is he has an overpair, but you're still a dog. Call the turn. River is fine.

Edit: Completely missed MP1, sorry about that. Your line is good. You have more than enough outs to raise for value against two players.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:32 PM

*grunch*

with 2 limpers I will probably complete this from SB, with just 1 i fold it.

flop is fine. but i'm not 3-betting the turn. you have TP with crap kicker, the flush draw adds equity but BB is saying you're behind.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:54 PM

he's open-ended too.

I think this is for value.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:39 PM

You play go0t.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's open-ended too.

[/ QUOTE ]

woops, I missed that, ignore my stupid posts.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I quite liked the hand, but wanted some opinions on it. I was curious whether anyone would say that I was over-valuing the draws that I had.

If both were good, then there really is no debate: jam this pot all day, and twice on Sundays. Results are below: it turns out that the flush draw was a road to nowhere. My actual equity on the turn was right about 30%, and so the 3-bet was ever so slightly -ve EV. If I were up against strong players, I'd tend to be more cautious, since the straight or flush draw might be no good, but against the usuals, I'll still jam this.

(for some reason, the converter think the button is in the hand)
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Results below:
BB has 6s 3h (two pair, sixes and threes).
MP1 has Tc Kc (one pair, tens).
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins 17 BB.

Last post of this year. I'm going out to drink until I can't feel feelings. A Happy New Year to everyone at 2+2.