Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 AM

Default PLO 200 - top set out of position

PL 200 short-handed.

I am in the big blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I have $200 and everybody has around the same, opposition is generally passive and loose, no other reads.

Preflop
4 limpers, small blind folds, I check. (Pot = $11)

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
I check, UTG bets ($11), all fold to button who calls ($11), I check-raise for max ($55), UTG calls, button folds.

My read is that UTG has some 98xx or 10-7-x-x.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
I lead by betting pot ($132), UTG has around the same amount of money left in his stack.

Suicidal? Should I check-(call a pot bet), check-(fold a pot bet) on the turn, lead for half the pot? How's the flop action? I am out of position so would leading instead of a check-raise on the flop have the advantage of simplifying the decision action on the turn by keeping the pot smaller?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: PLO 200 - top set out of position

I like the way the hand went, I mean there isnt much else you can do, but lead out on the turn, I mean say you check, he can represent the possible straight by pot betting, so thats a bad idea. As far as the flop is concerned, leading out on the flop is not a great idea, it gives away your hand and your position is terrible so that would only make things worse, not only that, but you wont be able to stack someone before the river, which means you wont win as much.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 PM

leading the pot doesn't give your hand away, they probably put you on 2 pair or the wrap, when you lead out and they have the wrap - they will raise, with 2-pair, they might just fold. if you lead the only thing you are angry about is when they call, but it still isn't bad, then you could think about check-calling the turn for just 33 bucks. however in all reality they will probably raise and you can basically get all in on the flop, which is better.

I don't play very often online but when i do i play the 100/200 PLO's and i've learned that just being straightforward will win you the most usually. Leading the flop is good and it doesn't give away your hand, check-raising is also o.k., but i would lead from the blind
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM

I like your play on the flop. You got one player to fold and can now bet all in on any turn.

You'll never know which straight cards beat you, and you can't check and fold, so just push any turn.

Even if the money was very deep, I would still pot this particular turn card.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the money was very deep, I would still pot this particular turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest issue here that I see is whether by potting this you are putting yourself well past the point of commitment or well before it.

With deep money, you might be able to pot this but still have enough behind that mucking to a huge reraise or to an obviously bad river card could make sense. I.e., you could still be in control of the next decision.

In the case presented however, you are shoving to a point where the next decision is easy in that it is essentially out of your hands. Thats fine also. So I'd pot this turn as well.

But if you both had 300-500 on this particular hand, would you want to make a full pot size bet on the turn? I'd hate to be flat called, see a blank on the river, and be left wondering with 1/2-2/3 of my stack behind whether that 3 hit him. So I think in some circumstances there is a case to be made for betting less if by doing so you leave yourself in control of the next decision.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 AM

i like it, out of all his cards that's the one least likely to have made his straight. unless you give him 9 8 6 5 it's hard to see how he bets the flop. giving the free card seems the bigger risk to me.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Results:

Villain held 9865. The board paired up on the river and I won the pot.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 AM

Not that it makes any difference but I'm just wondering why the villian didn't put you all in on the flop with his 20 outer. He is a 55% favourite.
I would think that would be a better EV as the hero would probably fold to a pot-sized bet on the turn if a J,9,8 or 6 came.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Haven't you been reading the forums? The guy named villain is a terrible player!