Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Brag Post

I did it, i played a home game with my bro in law, my two sisters, and my mum, and i finished ahead about $200, most of it from my mum who finished down $170

and i didn't feel guilty

however the game was russian poker, which isn't really poker since there is no betting, but i still had a large edge (the reason it was russian poker is because they don't feel comfortable playing real poker for money)

i have to admit though i don't think i could do it if any of them needed the money

who here would play poker against there mother, and how would you feel if you won?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Brag Post

Can you explain Russian poker a little more? How did you win money if there is no betting?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Yea, how does Russian Poker work?

My boyfriends parents always want to play. They never play for money (at all) and so I don't really care how I do. I raise 7-2o. lol. I wish I could win some money that way...it would be so easy. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 05:47 PM

I rarely respond to posts so negatively, but I think this is a very stupid question.

Edit: I've decided to edit my post and explain why I think it is a stupid question, rather than just give a di*k-headed no explanation retort like many of the idiots on this site like to do.

This is a stupid question/post because you are bragging about (not) winning money from your family. You jump back and forth between what could be stretched to be a poker idea into complete irrelevance. If people would play against their family (for fun presumably) it goes without saying that they would be happy winning. No one would feel guilty after the fact, unless they intended to lose, which I don't think anyone would do.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who here would play poker against there mother, and how would you feel if you won?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with family, and won. It feels wierd at first, but after a while, it's just poker. One idea, be sure to cultivate a +EV table image, because these games may continue for decades if you are intelligent about it.

This topic may be related to the subject to suing family members over varying outstanding disagreements, financial and otherwise. I mean, money is money. You may make some bad blood, but +EV is all that matters in the end, right?

I remember way back when I was a kid, my dad took some money off a bunch of my drunk uncles in a poker game. My mom made him give the money back. lol. My first impression of poker was obviously quite deluded.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:57 PM

here are the rules of russian poker:

it's played 2 3 or 4 handed (if you have more people i recomend taking turns sitting out)

everyone is dealt 13 cards

you make 3 different hands out of the 13 cards, a 5 card high hand, a 5 card low hand, and a 3 card high hand

your 5 card high hand has to be better than your 3 card high hand (like you couldn't have trips in your 3 card hand and 2 pair in your 5 card high hand)

your low hand is a 2-7 low, not an A-5 low like in omaha 8's or better

3 straigts and 3 flushes don't count for anything in your 3 card high hand, you either have a high card, a pair, or trips

so everyone makes there 3 hands, and then when everyone's done, everyone flips there hands up (it's convenient to put your cards on the table to signal you are done).

now, you win 2 points each time you beat some one on 2 out of 3 hands, and you win 4 points (a scoop) each time you beat some one on all 3 hands, and you pay out points the same way (losing 2 out of 3, losing all 3)

sometimes you can win one, lose one, tie one, this is just a tie and no points change hands

if you win 2 and tie one, you get 3 points

also, if before you see your opponents hands you think your hand is really bad, you can surrender and just give every 2 points regardless (to prevent yourself from getting scooped)

if some one breaks the rule that there back hand (5 card high) has to be better the front hand (3 card high), then they are forced to surrender regardless

i recomend maybe playing for fun at first, so the points (chips) are worthless, and then after a while say "i dunno how bout a couple bucks a point?"

i thinks that's everything, and yeah it's a great game to play for those intimidated by poker, because it feels more like blackjack or pai gow poker than actually poker
Old 06-11-2005, 10:00 PM

i'm not sure i follow here, what i'm saying is that some people might enjoy playing their mum for fun, but not enjoy playing their mum the same game for money when they win, is this what you disagree with?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure i follow here, what i'm saying is that some people might enjoy playing their mum for fun, but not enjoy playing their mum the same game for money when they win, is this what you disagree with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've intercepted some idiot banter which doesn't respond to anything that you are talking about. Just ignore it. If anything, one idiot is responding to another idiot regarding who exactly is the biggest idiot. I think the end result was a split pot.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:28 PM

oh woops, i thought his post was in response to me
Old 06-11-2005, 10:55 PM

Actually, it was in response to you. However, I apologize. I quickly realized how stupid of a response it was, and in reality, my own response to this post prompted my creation of the other thread in this forum concerning stupid posts. Primarily, I was quick to dismiss your ideas because I felt they were poorly expressed and got at no relevant issue. Again, I apologize.