Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-09-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Avoiding the set...

I know one of the poker basics is that when you flop a set, you will either win a big pot or lose a big pot (to a draw).

So my question is, has anyone picked up clues as to how to avoid going up against a set?

A classic example would be, say, I'm hold AK and someone with 55 limps before me. I raise, he calls.
Flop:

K 8 5

At what point (flop, turn, etc.) does one dump their TPTK or top 2 pair (let's say the flop was AK5) Or is this just one of those unavoidable scenarios?

Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Avoiding the set...

You shouldn't be trying to find reasons to dump your TPTK. In this specific situation, you'll probably get check-raised on the turn, but the right play usually is still to call down. The only exception is if you have an incredible read on your opponent and know that he won't check-raise you with anything but a set. But that's very rare. Many aggressive players will check-raise heads up with all sorts of hands that you can beat. If you start folding too much here, people will take shots at you nonstop.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Avoiding the set...

One of the great things about having a set (and the worst things about being up against a set), is that it's generally very well hidden. Recently I was faced with your exact scenario above: I had A-K, flop came A-K-2, and I lost a ton of money to a guy with the pocket dueces.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to avoid losing a bunch of money here except to go into check-call mode when the raising gets out of hand (especially when holding just one pair). At least that way you minimize your losses, and that's really all you can hope for. I'm assuming you're talking about heads-up play. If there are other opponents in the hand, and there is betting and raising going on around you, it's often easier to fold a hand like TPTK.