Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Am I ready for mid-limit?

Dcifr's comments are better than mine, but here's the deal:

The loose, every-hand-to-showdown low limit games to which you refer are the easiest games in the world to beat in the long term. This game, frankly, is quite common. If you're playing $9-18 at the Commerce, well, those games are often like a $3-6 showdown fest. If you cannot pound these games, probably for two big bets an hour, you are not ready to move up.

Secondly, as to the small sample size, you need to understand that winning 12 out of 15 hands is a totally irrelevant statistic. And, to be quite frank, if I ever won 12 out 15 hands with JJ, my suspicion would be that I'm in a pretty bad game.

I think the frustration of getting beat time and time again with good hands bothers you too much. You have to understand that you don't need to have 50% winning percentages with a certain hand to make it highly profitable. This means that you will frequently log losing sessions and will occasionally suffer utter disasters, no matter how well you play.

Keep reading these board, put in some hours at low limits, and reread the books. Coldcalling a raise with QTs is suicide to your bankroll in the mid/high limits, though at the low limits, you can probably get away with this play and not get killed.

And please don't call me Mr. And listen to Dcifr and the others, they have been around a long time, play in games way higher than me, and have a much better ability to explain things conceptually.

-Michael
Old 07-06-2004, 02:09 PM

Loose players have a hard time winning against other loose players with the occasional tight player thrown in the mix. Loose players, playing against somewhat tighter players will sometimes enjoy an immediate advantage ititially as they are able to move people off of pots, etc. more often, but it doesn't take long for most players (specially at mid-limites) to realize you are playing too loose and/or too aggresive, resulting in having players call you down or 3 bet isolations against you more often.

You don't seem to have a grasp on loose games versus tight games and how to change your play accordingly. Not to mention long term vs. short term.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:53 PM

Hi LRAO,

You have received some valuable advice so far, especially from DcfrThs and Michael Davis. It's not so much the denomination of the chips that you should be concerned about, but the type of games in which you will face. You will find that even in middle limit games, you will have games that play similar to a typical 3/6 game. Such as someone calling you down with a backdoor sh*t straight and the kind. Until you are confident that you are able to handle that and games that are really tough, risking more money is not the answer. Your so-called edge that you have now, will be non-existent when you move to middle-limits.

Two things will happen when you move up in limits: 1)you can make more money 2)you can lose more money 3)your opponents will be more skilled. The combination of 2 and 3 is reason enough that you should be able to beat a 3/6 game on a regular basis before moving on. If this is just an occasional weekend hobbie for you, then by all means give 15/30 a shot. But if you are going to do this regularly (like most of us poker junkies on 2+2), then you should use 3/6 as education. How can you expect to do well in college, when you aren't able to pass high school?

Your preflop skills that you learn in your books will be important in your low-limit games. Your postflop skills are ESSENTIAL in middle-limit games, and that takes months/years of experience. Play well and good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. Looking forward to more discussions. Unless I get booted to the beginner's section. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM

Don't let ego prevent you from visiting the beginner / micro-limit / small-stakes forumes. There is great advice there.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing for about 6 months now and have taken poker like a major in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on reading your QT post, I bet you didn't do very well in college.

[ QUOTE ]
That is, I've read all the suggested reading out there and have used this as my "edge" when I sit down at a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.

[ QUOTE ]
I started out in $3-$6 but found that it is too hard to showdown the winner against multiple LAPs at a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to beat these games if you are bad at poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried $9-$18 and found that to be a much better game for my style. I can say that I can walk away from the $9-18 sessions a winner 70% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Badass.

[ QUOTE ]
This past weekend I tried out $15-$30 and did well. I picked up on a couple of tricky players and some of their tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Badass.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I ask this question as to whether or not I am ready is the fact that one of my good friends, who is a high-limit ($80-$160) player told me that until I can consistently beat the low-limit game, I have no business in the mid- to high-limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky to have a friend who knows what he's talking about. Forget about random folks giving you advice here. Listen to your friend.

[ QUOTE ]
Example: Pocket Js in low-limit have been worthless to me, but in mid-limit, they held up 12 out of the 15 times I had them. Ditto with AA.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you do have a good point there. Please tell me your userid at any of the poker sites. We can play some high-limit heads-up matches. In those games, your AA will hold up more than anywhere else, since AA wins the highest percentage of times when played heads-up (it wins the lowest percentage of times when facing 9 opponents). Also, you are able to pick up on how tricky players play, so between all these skills I think you will dominate heads-up high-limit play. But El Diablo enjoys a challenge, so we should definitely play. Olé!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:40 PM

I would like to play El Diablo heads up.

For play money. I'm serious too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 06:07 PM

ML4L beware, mas spanglish:

quando el diablo quiere ser el diablo, nadie esta seguro...

no need to poke fun at the poster, pero si quieres ser el diablo, hay que decir cosas asi...pues te entiendo...but seriously, even though i've heard "el diablo" is spanish for "the diablo" there's always a fine line

cross it at your own leisure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Barron
Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 PM

No, you're not ready for midlimit, as this QTs hand goes to show. You are not thinking about the game correctly enough to even beat a low limit game. Beat those games first.

Don't mean to be rude, just straight up. It's people like you that make the 15 game on party so good.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:52 PM

Thanks. I will continue to work on my game.