Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Books on Probability/Calculus

Not sure if this is the right place for a post of this nature, but I figure it doesn't stray too far off and we don't have a Math forum, so here goes.

I took Calc I through III in college but frankly, don't remember a great deal of it. My sister was flipping through her Calc II book, asking me questions and I was completely drawing blanks. I recall Calc II was more difficult than III, but it got me to thinking about refreshing my Calc skills.

Are there any books on the market that someone can recommend for refreshing calculus? I generally do best with books that have sample questions and work out problems instead of just saying "here's the calculus". I recall the majority of Calc I, although I've forgotten some common derivatives/integrals I'm sure...but the concepts remain somewhat fresh. I'm really looking for a quick refresh of Calc I and then a full blast of Calc II and Calc III (and beyond)?

Also, if anyone knows of any books on some more complicated Decision Theory, that would be lovely as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Books on Probability/Calculus

I really do not know of any, and i'm taking CALCII at the moment *sigh*. We're using a textbook i doubt you want to use, for it's one of the worst printings ever. Therefore, i suggest you head over to a book store and just look in the math section to see one that suits you.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Books on Probability/Calculus

Actually, I would rec. going to a college book store and getting a text book. There are a few series available in regular bookstores, but they are SO dry that unless you have a solid background in math, you will take a much longer time to learn the topics. For example, a book from, say Barnes and Nobles, in Linear Algebra, will start be defining complex numbers, while one from a text book store will start with matirces (a much more comfortable topic).

But the BEST thing to do is save your money, search the web for class notes. If you have taken calc II before, im sure you just need some catching up and cand find this on a website. or just go the mathworld.com - it's a rockin site.

ps - calc II is harder in the middle than calc III, but the calc III final put me in my place.