Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Standard laydown 200 NL

[ QUOTE ]
Better to put villain to the test. You might get a better hand (AQ) to fold if you represent AA or QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone in the $200 game is folding AQ in this spot.

This is a highly player dependent situation. Without any reads at all I would lean towards a muck, but some (non-trivial) percentage of the time I'm going to call to see if villain wusses out and slows down so I can get to a cheaper showdown.

KoW
Old 10-11-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am staying in this hand then my remaining stack is less then the turn pot and I am committed to calling anything.

[/ QUOTE ] I have ~turn pot 110, remaining eff. stack 145. But I agree it's decision time. I'd prefer to CR turn all-in if I play. Why stop a bluffer now, while we are somehow committed anyway? If we push now and get called, we are likely toast.

[ QUOTE ]
You might get a better hand (AQ) to fold if you represent AA or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't play full ring, but I can say for sure that at 6 max no one will fold AQ.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM

I think I flat call this here on the flop, and use my position to see what his play is on the turn.

My thinking behind this? Open-raising from the button, and betting full pot on the flop just reaks of a steal, and if I'm BB here I would make his move with any two cards hoping to take down that pot right there. Now IF villian is trying to defend his blinds here and gets called? I think he gives it up on the turn and we can bet the pot again and take it down. If villian bets big on the turn then I can feel fairly safe I am behind to two pair or a set, and fold this...
Old 10-11-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian bets big on the turn then I can feel fairly safe I am behind to two pair or a set, and fold this...

[/ QUOTE ] It's not this easy at 1/2.
I think calling the flop and folding the turn to a blank is bad. With this turn plan, I definitely prefer just folding the flop.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I am staying in this hand then my remaining stack is less then the turn pot and I am committed to calling anything.

[/ QUOTE ] I have ~turn pot 110, remaining eff. stack 145. But I agree it's decision time. I'd prefer to CR turn all-in if I play. Why stop a bluffer now, while we are somehow committed anyway? If we push now and get called, we are likely toast.

[ QUOTE ]
You might get a better hand (AQ) to fold if you represent AA or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't play full ring, but I can say for sure that at 6 max no one will fold AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I was thinking about villain's stack. At some point you have to push if you are sticking around. Whether flop or turn matters little since you are behind and drawing thin.

Again, I will fold this to most villains, but if I decide to stay in, I probably push the flop and either snap off his bluff or pay off AQ.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM

I believe folding this early is out of the question because he was in the BB...

Two options i think are best: 1) re-raise once again around the size of the pot (100?), and fold to a push or 2) call his bet and hope to keep the pot low on the turn
Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 PM

There are so many draws that I'm calling this and waiting to see what happens on the turn. No offense, but if you were playing at a table with a decent player who is willing to mix it up, this sort of fold will get you destroyed.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Could you give me an explanation as to why you think it is better to push the flop than call down or push the turn, if you think he is on either a hand we are drawing very slim to or a bluff?

Dumle
Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it, especially since he may think you are on a steal. I would call this and reevaulate on the turn, since I can see a flush draw or a worse ace here a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think most players won't give him credit for an ace? I'm willing to bet most players won't checkraise him here unless they have him beat or, at worst, tied. (if the op was a maniac or seen as overly aggressive and showed down some weak hands, then this needs to be evaluated. But in general, I think a checkraise indicates better then TPTK)
Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads on villain. Standard laydown?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($195.95)
Hero ($264.80)
SB ($244.60)
BB ($200)
UTG ($200)
UTG+1 ($328.60)
UTG+2 ($891.40)
MP1 ($195)
MP2 ($683.09)
MP3 ($267.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $17</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $47</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $81

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. Your opponents play scream of a set of eights and possibly AQ. Most players will wait and pop you on the turn, but I think with that board many players default will be to check raise the flop.

Either way if you go with the option of pushing, you will be instacalled.

Some people suggest calling the raise and making a decision on the turn. Put yourself in the villains shoes, he is going to bet that turn, right? What then, what card are you looking for?

If you have a history with this villain, you might be able to make a case for a push on the flop, but from what I can see you need to fold here. NH.