Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 12:09 AM

Default HELP - I keep getting killed with AA

I must be doing something wrong because this has been happening to me quite frequently this week.

Help is welcome anywhere you see it necessary.

Villain in this hand is: 53/6/1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB ($177.1)</font>
UTG ($30.74)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($84.3)</font>
Button ($94.33)
SB ($139.21)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls $6, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($27) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $36</font>, Hero calls $18.

River: ($99) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $40</font>, Hero calls $39.30 (All-In).

Final Pot: $178.30
Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: HELP - I keep getting killed with AA

This looks fine. Just a bad beat. I don't think there's anyway I fold this river getting 3.4-1.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anyway I fold this river getting 3.4-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was more worried about the earlier streets, I guess.

In retrospect, I think I should have made it 5 or so PF and maybe pushed on the turn.

Is the way I actually played it better than this line?

Does anyone else release this on the turn?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:43 AM

I think the flop bet is fine. I was reading Matt Matros's book in which he says that the best way to build a pot is to bet between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of the pot, so 2/3rds is pretty much my standard bet size in this situation. It gives bad odds to the first caller if he's drawing and usually picks up a call. I would've bet the full pot on the turn, because two callers is one too many + it prices both callers out of a flush draw. That five doesn't look particularly scary. I might have folded to that check minraise, but probably not.
Just bad luck I guess.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:49 AM

I'unno about that. Do you WANT to build a pot in this situation? Hero's hand is strong, but vulnerable, and he needs to find out where he's at in a hurry, unless he's cool with being stacked w/ aces every time he's behind with them.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero's hand is strong, but vulnerable, and he needs to find out where he's at in a hurry, unless he's cool with being stacked w/ aces every time he's behind with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the heart of the problem for me. I am definitely NOT COOL with getting stacked holding aces.

It's been happening too much lately and I need to find out why.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anyway I fold this river getting 3.4-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was more worried about the earlier streets, I guess.

In retrospect, I think I should have made it 5 or so PF and maybe pushed on the turn.

Is the way I actually played it better than this line?

Does anyone else release this on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have made it at least 4 to go pre-flop. Most people at this level will play crap hands when someone raises 3x BB pre-flop from MP, ESPECIALLY at 6 max. From EP, maybe you get away with it, but still unlikely in online play 6 max.

On the flop you HAVE to at least pot size this with the flush draw out there. People at 6-max will call with all sorts of crazy hands. And with a 3x BB raise pre-flop, you're not going to get a lot of respect. People will call you down with bottom pair. Besides, if someone has Kx, you're going to get lots of action. If not, then it's not meant to be and be happy that you took down the small pot. Don't get greedy with your aces. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The rest is.. well... not good.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have made it at least 4 to go pre-flop. Most people at this level will play crap hands when someone raises 3x BB pre-flop from MP, ESPECIALLY at 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good reason to raise 3x.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should have made it at least 4 to go pre-flop. Most people at this level will play crap hands when someone raises 3x BB pre-flop from MP, ESPECIALLY at 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine thinking, but potting the flop is mandatory if you want to go this direction.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you don't want to play this against 4 people. If you really want to trap, then just limp this hand. Your not building that much of a pot by raising 3x and then allowing people to run into monster flops with their crap hands. Then you feel a little more married to the flop with it comes 993 and you bet and someone raises.

I think it's a much higher EV play to just play these hands standard against most party players. Raise big, get a caller or two and play the hand strong. To vary your play and make moves that are +EV you have to have observant and good opponents, which you're not going to find many of them on party tables. It's the old poker adage of - don't vary your play and change your game if the players you're playing against are strong enough to understand the basic concepts of poker, you're just throwing away money by doing this. Ocasionally you'll dupe someone for a huge pot, but more often than not you'll end up with a story like our friend in this post. Save your deceptive and game changing speeds for good opponents.

That's my 2 cents.