Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Taking Notes on Pros

When I hit 21 in July, I'd like to have as much information possible about the many pros we all see on TV, but I'm wondering what the best way to learn their specific styles would be (besides cash games, obviously not in my bankroll). I'm thinking not, but would observing big hands shown on ESPN or WPT final tables or tournaments be of any significant help? Could I use televised hands to even try and pick up tells they have in specific situations? I'm familiar with most of these players style, just want to get any edge I can get before I take a shot at big tournament poker at the WSOP this year.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Taking Notes on Pros

Regardless of how many notes you have on them, they will still outplay you. Not to mention you may not even get to a table with a well known pro at it, due to the amount of entries.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could I use televised hands to even try and pick up tells they have in specific situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if they are the best on television, they won't have many tells you can see (if any at all).
Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 PM

just ask negreanu for his televised wpt episode notes.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Oh I get it, this is a joke right. The pros are pros for a reason bro. If you think watchin them on TV and takin some notes is gonna give you some kind of advantage against them in a tournament well......I seriously doubt it. And as for you knowing their styles as you say, are you kidding me. You've seen 25 hands on ESPN and now you think you got an idea of how Ivey, Greenstein, Chan, etc. play. The pros play different styles in different situations that is why they are the best. Its not like u just sit down and peg them for a style in the first hour and start pounding away at them man.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:14 AM

Not wanting to hop the bandwagon here or anything, but I've read that Lederer in particular has adjusted his play from what viewers have seen on TV. So, players will as much trouble adjusting to his play whether they've "studied" him on TV or not. Some other pros have probably gone to the trouble to do the same.