Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Not being able to play a complete game...

GoG plays what i would consider a complete TAG game. He doesn't get out of line too often, but is not ABC. He can balance every situation at every point in the hand. I remember talking to Yeti once and he said (talking of Diablo/GoG) "Those guys always know what to do".

GoG plays from the inside out. The best example of this I can think of is in chess. In chess, the best players play from the middle of the board and play outwards. I always play from the outside inwards. Im pretty good at chess, maybe 2300 rating on Yahoo, but I have to play 1 minute blitz to have a chance against the better players. There are many 2300 rated players who I cannot beat with a full clock, but whom I can beat long term with only 1 minute on the clock. The reason is because the time factor allows me to employ a different style. I can attack attack attack, sacrifice pieces and make combonation moves in my head. I will have a series of moves played out in my head in advance and can judge my opponents moves in advance. These moves will not always lead to mate, but will force my opponent to use up his 1 minute of time before me.

This is how I feel I have to play against GoG heads up.

There are some players that I can play inside->out against and beat easily, but GoG isn't one of them. But I feel that I can develop the proper LAG strategy to beat someone like GoG long-term, and destroy the rest of them.

This post doesn't have much meaning. I mainly wanted to make it because I thought the Chess analogy was really cool.
My second analogy choice was a basketball team that has to play a full court game and not a half court game.

For those getting read to say that I should just use game selection and avoid GoG, I agree. But if I can get good enough to beat GoG, then I'll be able to crush the rest of them. Playing against the better players will make you a better player, etc.

I use GoG as the main example because he is the only player on UB Ive encountered who I feel is better then me.