Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM

Default River decision

Party Poker 15/30

Background
I played this hand on the train on the way to work in the morning, so the usual cadre of loose aggressive psychopaths at the Party Poker 15/30 were not present in force. Everyone at the table seems reasonable, maybe a couple people playing too loose. But then again, I think everybody except me plays too loose.

The Hand
It is folded around to me on the button, again. My hand is 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so I raise for a few reasons. The first is that I'm on the button, and I love playing the button. The second is that I have a good shot of stealing these blinds because the two players in the blinds are not the any-two-card blind defender types. Third, these guys are not too aggressive either so there is no way they are going to outplay me postflop and bet me off a better hand. Finally, 10-4 is my favorite hand. I keep telling my poker friends that one day I will pick a favorite hand that doesn't suck so bad.

The flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It is checked to me, I bet, both blinds call. The turn drops a 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It is checked to me and I check. On the river, the wonderful 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls. The small blind wakes up and bets, and the big blind raises. I?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: River decision

3-bet
Old 08-19-2004, 02:10 PM

call.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:36 PM

On second thought...If you are reasonably sure sb would overcall but not call 2 more, then a call is fine.

Do you think bb would have played an overcard(s)+flush draw type hand this passivly?

Against your average Party 15 player, I would say you are way ahead here, and some of these people will even cap you with a baby flush putting you on the straight.

I don't you will be too far off going either way.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:54 PM

3 bet. straights, sets, and 2 pairs will call 3 bets on river if they are already in for 1 or 2 and might go overboard with another bet.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 PM

I'd just call.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 PM

anyone with a six of a set is calling. raise it up.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM

I raised, the SB folded, the BB capped. I called and got shown the nut flush. If the last spade was a non-straight making spade I would have just called, going for the SB overcall rather than risking more bets by raising the BB. But the four-straight out there made me think the BB could be raising a lot of hands I can beat and the SB might call with a lot of hands I can beat. It seems like you guys are mixed between raising and calling, though.

-rory
Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 AM

Wow, I'd have expected a check-raise on that flop, or maybe even a semi-bluff turn raise from the nut-flush draw there.