Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Got my ear chewed out on this hand, but I think it was an okay call.

Hand from last night. 5/10 game. This table coach and all-around jerk had a fit over the hand that follows. I didn't really get into it with him, but want some 2+2 opinions.

Going from memory here so please bare with me....

All players are unknown to me. I'm in MP w/ A-Q ( [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] unimportant) I raise, get one LP cold caller behind me and the Coach calls in the BB.

Flop: 9-6-6 Check to me, I bet, LP folds, BB raises. I call.

Turn: Q, BB Coach bets into me, I call (thought about raising which is what I think I should have done, but hindsight is 20/20...)

River: 6 (6-6-9-Q-6 board) BB bets into me and I call (Once again, here I really should have raised, but I didn't for a stupid fear of him having the pocket 6. Stupid and pus*y-like, I know [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

He flips over a 9x for the full house 6s full of 9 and I take the pot with the 6s full of Queens. At this point he goes balistic: "how could I call the flop raise fish? Etc."

Am I way off here? I don't think the call of the rasie was that horrible. I was already committed 50% of the bet, it was heads up and I had two very strong overcards. My feelings may have been different if we had a few more people in the hand, but without knowing anything about this guy I though it was worth seeing the turn. Was this a totally fishy play by me on the turn?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 06-22-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Got my ear chewed out on this hand, but I think it was an okay call.

It looks close to me, but I dont think the call was terrible (you'll probably find some argument but I'd flip a coin over it personally to vary play). Without a read Id probably put him on JJs or worse... all youd have to worry about is a low pocket pair and even then you have 6 strong outs, so its close and your in good shape if he doesnt have a pocket pair.

Just my two cents,
TRWIII

(oh and P.S.: isn't it great to have an iraqte coach at the table... you play it right and he can entertain you all night [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 06-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Got my ear chewed out on this hand, but I think it was an okay call.

not that bad. folding would have been an ok choice, calling raise and folding on turn unimproved is good play too. i mean, if i was you i would have reasoned that he most likely had a nine, which is why he checkraised flop instead of waiting to checkraise turn. then I would have raised turn to see what he was made of and proceed from there. I wouldnt listen to that loud mouth table coach, he was just acting pissy. You could have easily responded to him, "why did you call my preflop raise with that 9x garbage?" same argument. But really you do not need to say anything to this guy... just keep playing well and take his chips.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:22 PM

"The Coach" should have jumped up and kissed you for not extracting the maximum from him on this hand. You are getting 8.5:1 on your flop call and since I think there is little to no chance that he check-raised the flop here with trips your call with two overcards is absolutely fine.

I think that just calling the turn is fine so long as you plan to raise the river. There is almost no way he has quads here. His flop check-raise is to protect top pair; it is not the way he would want to play flopped trips. You have to stop seeing monsters.

All the best,

Colgin
Old 06-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Of course its a good flop call. I would have put him on a 9-x as well seeing he c/r the flop.
The pot was offering you 9.5:1 to call that 1 extra SB, on a 7.3:1 chance of spiking an ace or queen.

Therefore the call was justified.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:14 PM

Your call on the flop is clearly correct. Look at it this way:

1.) Unless the coach is likely to call PF out of position with A6 (which would leave you dead to running queens or nines), you're in fine condition. You cannot fear any other 6 following a preflop raise, at least by my book.

2.) More importantly, when it comes back around to you, you're getting 10:1 from the pot on a call. Very few hands need better odds than that, and even if you give him credit for the nine, you still have 6 legit outs to beat it. Looking only at the turn, you need only 7:1 or so to rationalize a call, so you're getting a substantial overlay.

3.) I agree with your 20/20 comments on the turn & river and often find myself doing the same. That you know a raise is the right play is a good sign... now take that knowledge to the table!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:17 PM

Sometimes don't you wish that you could post a thread like this to an obnoxious guy on-line while playing at the tables? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I agree that I played that hand very poorly after the turn, but not raising the river is the part that really bothers me. Hindsight and all, but man I should have raised that river. I know better than that. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Live and learn.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Assuming you don't think the coach had a 6, your call seems reasonable. Keep in mind he is the BB and could be pretty loose in the blinds so you never know. Now your play after that was a total disgrace. If you're not going to raise the river or turn because you're scared of a 6 you should have never called that 2nd bet. The turn call/raise is possibly debateable but the river raise is so easy it's not even funny.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:30 PM

I'm going to say this was a bad call b/c of the way you played the rest of the hand. Your getting almost even money on this call w/9.5-1 which makes a call resonable if you think you have 6 clean outs, which by the play on the rest of the streets you believed you didn't.

By not extracting more money out of this on the turn and river, you're giving up too much EV when you hit this hand to make up for the times you missed it. If you truely believed he had trip 6s then you're drawing close to dead and should fold. If you believe he's got a 9, then you got 6 good outs, call the flop and raise when the turn hits you.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:59 PM

As I said earlier, I'm more upset by the way I played the turn and especialy the river then I am about my flop call.

I knew better and had a big momentary lapse of reason.