Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 03:34 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Love the avatar Buster... n/m

you beat me to it
Old 06-14-2004, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one that doesn't think this book would sell very well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a big supporter of DavidR (as I think he knows), but I too question how well this book would sell. I think he could add some elements to the book to make it more universal. As it would stand now, we here would be interested naturally, but he would need a lot more support to make it a success in publishing terms.

Of course, if he did it simply for his own pleasure and happiness, I think that is great and he should move forward with it. Anything on top of that is just gravy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Support for David Ross

[ QUOTE ]
You might be surprised at how many copies even the worst books sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, the bibble and koran come to mind
Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Hi there outs,

I can give you a quick update if you like. The 15/30 games have treated me very very well. I am playing less hours and making more money than ever. I'm sure I'm due for a downturn sometime soon, but I've only had 2 losing days in the last 2 weeks and each loss was less than $500. I have averaged over $4K / week since moving to 15/30. The hours I used to play ring games have been spent on tournaments as I continue my quest to get better there. I haven't had any success in the multi tables, but have done quite well in single table and 3 table tournaments. I'm hoping to use the earnings from the smaller tournaments to pay for the multi buy-ins.

As far as the book is concerned, I am working on it. It is not my intention to simply put the 52 updates together, rather I'm hoping to tell the year in more of a story format. My intention is to write 4 chapters and present it to publishers and get some reaction. I have no intention of writing the entire work and then finding out no one is interested. I have trouble believing anyone would really want to read this, but if there is any interest I will proceed.

My biggest reason for doing this is to try and establish some legitimate income for this year. Even if I only earned a small amount from doing this, for tax reasons I would have a source of income, making my gambling winnings tax free.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if I only earned a small amount from doing this, for tax reasons I would have a source of income, making my gambling winnings tax free.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it, I'm moving to Canada! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 PM

Very well done.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he could add some elements to the book to make it more universal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those elements are there already:

*Everyone loves a success-story
*Everyone wants to know how to make the big $$$ easy ("Wow! I'm gonna be rich, just sitting on my a$$, clicking the mouse!")
*Mr Ross is a family man. I bet he could squeeze in some everyday-drama-relationship stuff. A lot of people like that. Or so I've heard.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 PM

re. tax: Set up a website. Copy/paste your 52 weeks into a file and make it a .pdf . Put it on sale on your website. Use paypal or neteller or one of these collection fronts to collect your money. Convince 10 or so people to buy your thing, (even if you reimburse them on the outside). That's it, 1-2-3 business set-up. Pay your taxes. Nothing easier than setting up a publishing business...making money publishing, well that's another thing...

In the meantime put it in any format you want, etc. to sell thru whoever.

I'd hate to pay taxes on poker winnings after all that hard work/risk taken. I'm glad that where I live, the gov't doesn't even know that I exist...
Old 06-14-2004, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he could add some elements to the book to make it more universal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think those elements are there already:

*Everyone loves a success-story
*Everyone wants to know how to make the big $$$ easy ("Wow! I'm gonna be rich, just sitting on my a$$, clicking the mouse!")
*Mr Ross is a family man. I bet he could squeeze in some everyday-drama-relationship stuff. A lot of people like that. Or so I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely correct. Those are universal themes that many can relate to; However, the format I think would ultimately need to be changed (as I believe he is working on now.) I also think that within the pages of his story, basic poker advice needs to inserted-- Not as a part of the writings directly, but in little "shaded" sections as each situation arises. For example, when he comes across a part of his story where he is debating with the reader about pre-flop selection, naturally he would have a companion page or two about how to play pre-flop hands. I'm not saying for him to write another Supersystem, but something that would help educate the misinformed reader so they could understand better and follow along.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:00 PM

I think the book would do well, it would be similar to stewart perrys blackjack diaries. It would be the real story of the day in day out grind, how he handles pro poker and a family. I loved blackjack diaries it put counting cards in perspective.