Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Default FT hand - when the right play looks like a donkey play

I caught a lot of crap for this one, but i think it was the optimal play. Down to four (2 pay, 3 gets money back) at live tourney. blinds 200-400. I had been playing selectively aggressive, picking blinds up slightly higher than the rest of the table, so that they wouldnt play back. The last pot I won with a continuation bet on a paired board. Table was fairly tight, but didnt want them to not give me credit for a hand, so i wasnt overdoing it.

BB was a good player. We had clashed early on, and i had made him back down. He had just doubled up and was 2nd in chips to me.

Hero, button, (7100) raises to 900 with 7d 4s.
Villain, BB, (4500) calls 500 more. (seems like a funny amount to raise, but this slightly above min raise was table standard, and was working. Besides, a larger raise would pot commit me before I knew what was what.)

Pot 2000.

Flop 7c 3h 3c.
BB checks, I bet 1000. BB min-CR's to 2000. Pot 5000. I have 5200 left. I put him on PP, down to 55, or two high clubs as most likely holdings.

A clear all in or fold here, right? Though I could legitimatelly be in really bad shape, I dont think hes giving me much credit for a hand with this flop, and may think A high is best. What do you guys do?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: FT hand - when the right play looks like a donkey play

I think you need to fold to his reraise. You were on a steal with 74o. Although you hit the flop, there's no reason to go broke with such a marginal hand. The reason people steal with junk is that it is supposed to be easier to let go of when challenged.

Although BB could be playing a PP, my read is more like a weak Ace preflop, probably A3o.

Lay it down.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:36 PM

villain has 2k left, so you're essentially deciding to put in another 3k if you want to play. there's 4k in dead money (2k preflop + 1k each post), so you only need to win the hand 30% to play on, plus you need to add a healthy boost because this is a tournament on the bubble. what are the payouts? that matters a lot here.

my default would be to say that if villain is a good player, he will be aware of the fact that you're raising pre-flop with crap and you're probably cbetting a lot, so a good villain may try to take you off the hand.

hard to know w/o pay structure though.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 PM

right, payout was $300 for 1st, $150 for 2nd, $50 for 3rd.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM

ok, i'd jam. if he's a got a better 7, try to turn an A. you should post this in 1-table tournaments too. it's interesting because stt's pay 2:3:5 instead of 1:3:6, so here there's a lot less incentive to squeak into 3rd (and so villain will be c/r'ing air more).
Old 12-12-2005, 03:28 PM

granted. to post results, i did jam, BB called happily, which i thought meant i was in serious trouble. He turned over 2c8c, which was completely out of line with what he had been playing. He said after i raised his BB again, he was gonna call, and CR me on the flop no matter what (he just happened to pick up a flush draw.) If i give him credit for flush draws this wacky, its an insta call right?