Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: I warn you, don\'t watch this video (anti-fur vid)

One of the places I represent (I'm a Union Business Agent) is a slaughterhouse. Pigs and cows. Also, in a "salting" gig a few years ago, (where a union sends me to work in a place to try to unionize it from within) I worked for a month in Kosher Poultry Slaughterhouse on the killing floor. Quite the horrorshow. Although I don't have direct experience about a skinning plant or operation just for fur, I'll tell you there is some crazy crap going on in some of these more industrial-style places.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, cattle are killed before they are butchered. They herd them through a little series of gates, they get locked in one at a time, and either a very sharp rotary razor slices through the neck, or a very powerful air hammer hits them between the eyes to kill them. Both methods are quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The slaughterhouse where I represent some employees (not the actual killing floor guys, though they have to do some work there) sometimes get bison to kill for buffalo burgers or whatever. So, because the bison has a big plate of bone for butting on its forhead they have to fire and fire and fire that gun into its head before it goes down. Pathetic.

Also, my guys tell me, though I did not belief this one for a while, that when they get veal calves they don't kill them the usual way as described above. They beat them to death with bats.

Also, the cows, who have similiar tear ducts to humans, cry when they are in the chutes, on their way to get the hammer, probably smelling the blood. Jesus. The pigs are eerily smart as well. Like it or not, most of the people who work there would tell you they know what's going on. Even if you think that the supposition that the animal's know what's going on is bs ...try taking a look at the whole production line when you get a chance. It ain't pretty.

At the chicken place the Rabbis cut the chickens neck and they strangled or bled to death, not rendered to bits like what I think they do in a regular place. When we did a shipment of turkeys it was a [censored] nightmare because once the Rabbi cuts the turkey's neck I had to walk over to like a big upside down milkshake container, throw it upside down where it would bleed to death. Well, once it had its throat slashed, an occassional turkey would take exception to this insult and start flipping out and beat you with its wings. It's a strange thing to see a bloody turkey thrashing down the street (it was like a drive-in for the trucks) with a couple of guys dressed like lab technicians chasing it.

I'm quite pro-animal rights but, believe me, you get pretty blase about the whole thing after the first hundred animals you disembowel.

Sure, a situation where any animal suffers as it is being killed for any purpose; meat, fur, vivisection, etc; is an abomination in my eyes, and I've been talking more about the more "humane" factory killing floors, but for most non-wild animals I think any killing is a mercy due to the conditions that they live, are treated, and are transported.

Lastly, PETA was recently going around with a portable billboard on a truck with one half a picture of piled bodies from the holocaust and the other half a pile of dead swine with the caption "The final indignity." here

Although I'm sure they think of their cause as a kind of crusade, this kind of comparison is beyond the pale.

What's for lunch?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe i used the wrong terms. i am talking about cavemen

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway by old days i was talking about way back when you had to kill to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even relevant? We don't need to kill to survive nowadays.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyway by old days i was talking about way back when you had to kill to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even relevant? We don't need to kill to survive nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

WE don't have to, because we pay someone to do it for us, and, in return, we do something else to contribute to society, which we are financially rewarded for.

I'm not going to live in a world without meat!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM

We're not talking meat, we're talking fur. We don't need fur to survive, you can go to a store and BUY clothes.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:49 PM

well, we are kinda talking about meat and fur now.

But yes, if something is killed for meat, I definately think it's better to use it's hide.

If you kill something for it's hide, you better sure as hell eat it's meat.

To kill something for it's skin and waste the rest, thats not in good spirits.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 PM

this is pretty gross. and i'm a republican...
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Man that's pretty sick. I tried to watch the whole thing but had to shut it down the third time that guy stepped on that animals neck. Just sick.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:15 PM

I actually haven't seen it, but is there sound? The screams of the animals is usually pretty bad.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is pretty gross. and i'm a serial murderer ...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP