Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Internet slows to a halt - Somewhat off Topic

I use my home desktop computer to play Poker. I usually play between 3-6 nights per week. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. The computer is new with a 3.2 GHz processor. I use dial-up.

After playing online for awhile my internet connection will become so slow that I will start being dropped out of hands because my computer will not exchange the data fast enough to allow me to play without timing out. I will play for an extended time without having any lag and then it will start to slow, getting worse and worse. Within 15 minutes the lag is so bad that I’m being dropped from hands.

When I bring up the dial-up box to disconnect I notice that this ALWAYS occurs after I have received/sent (I can’t remember which it is) between 12M and 20M of data. Finally, after I disconnect and reconnect I am right back to square one with an excellent connection and no problems until again I’ll get to that magic 12-20 Meg range. I disconnect and reconnect and everything is fine again. This has been going on for two months. It happens irrregardless of what Poker site I'm logged on to.

I never had this problem until I went to XP and I also installed a new modem. I didn’t think much of it until someone approached me (without knowing about my problem) and described the exact same problem.

Does anyone know if there is fix to this issue?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Internet slows to a halt - Somewhat off Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if there is fix to this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a cable or DSL modem.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 PM

My father always said there is at least one idiot in every crowd. At least you identified yourself immediately.

DSL or Cable are not available where I live. Anything worthwile to add or should I be expecting your next response to say "move."
Old 11-22-2004, 01:29 PM

You might have faulty drivers. Find out the model of the modem, go to the manufacturers web site and see if they have updated drivers or a patch. Otherwise go to a search engine and find out if others have the same problem and see what they did to fix it. Ultimately the bext fix would be to go with Cable or DSL.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My father always said there is at least one idiot in every crowd. At least you identified yourself immediately.

DSL or Cable are not available where I live. Anything worthwile to add or should I be expecting your next response to say "move."

[/ QUOTE ]

No you didn't.

Damn yo song sound like one of my more difficult hos when it's time fo her bath. Sponger is accused of being a fairy now you go and beaatch slap her like 1.

Yo crockett homie yo down with da G.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 PM

Another possible solution is to get a real modem (one that doesn't rely on software drivers), external or internal. You may have to go with an external modem, because internal modems that are not software driven are getting to be hard to find. Also, satellite internet service is available everywhere, but is rather pricey.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:04 PM

What kind of modem do you have? You might want to invest in a more expensive one, especially if you just have a winmodem.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:05 PM

Sounds like a WinModem problem to me too.

Best solution = buy a US Robotics External modem (AND a modem cable - not included). Cheap solution = reboot every few hours.

No high speed access where I live either, and not likely to be any for a long long time.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:32 PM

a long shot, but maybe the cause, is spyware. i had similar problems with my (cable) internet connection, leading to delays and near dropouts during games. i knew it wasn't the connection because the other computers in the house were all working fine. eventually i ran a spyware program and it got cleaned up.. been working fine since.

(adaware and spybot were what i used)
Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 AM

crockett -

I had the same problem while using a Broadcom internal modem with a Dell laptop computer. I was running XP and all of the drivers were up to date.

After doing some research, I found that this is a common problem with software based modems (although Broadcom and Dell deny a problem exists).

The only long term solution the techs could offer was to change modems. As CORed and Terry pointed out, your best bet is to buy an external non-software driven modem.

Fortunately for me, DSL became available in my area at about the same time I began having the trouble. Since I switched to DSL I have not had any connection problems.

SF

__________________________________________________ _______

CORed -

Regarding Satellite internet service: Everything I have heard and read indicates that there is too much of a delay uploading information when using satellite. This results in frequent time-outs and makes it unreliable for Poker.

SF