Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 PM

Default (22) How do you play big stack on bubble against donks?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t2225)
Hero (t3430)
SB (t715)
BB (t1630)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, Hero raises all in [t3430]

I am really having trouble playing the big stack on the bubble. At the level I play I think I play to tight when big stack because I feel my pushes will be called by a wide range of hands with the short stack and the 2nd and 3rd stacks are usually donks who will call for all their chips with KQ and risk finishing out of the money. In this situation is this a good push and if so how low does the range go? Anyone who feels they play the big stack well at the 22 and 33 level help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: (22) How do you play big stack on bubble against donks?

Yeah this doesn't make any sense as a move and here's why:
The blinds are irrelevantly small at T200. It's not worth risking over 2000 chips for 200. Now at 300 it's starting to get more worth it. Even still though there is no point to this play at all. I don't mind seeing a flop and if you hit somewhat safely then you can push or play however. Until the blind go up to where it's worth it you can sit back a bit.

Even with blinds at 2/400 I probably don't over push here. Maybe but I would rather push when I get the first crack at it.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:58 PM

I hate that push. You are risking alot of chips and with SB so short he might call you with the extra value from UTG limping.

I would probabrly fold here and go for open stealing oppurnties. If UTG keeps limping then i like this move.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 AM

So even though the short stack has 3.5 bbs you dont think the UTG limper will be tight enough to make this steal?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM

He may be tight but I don't think your risk reward is there. Yes it is 500 chips which is good but I just don't think it's worth it. What do you think he will call with? Do you think fighting with the other big stack is worth these chips? I mean it is player dependant but pushing over him here is silly in my opinion. This is a situation where I love to see a flop and see where I am at.

I mean he may fold, if he folds 75% of the time is it worth it? That is a question for ICM. Personally I don't want push here unless people think I am tight because if he has anything decent and u are loose I think you are getting called at the 22's.

I could be wrong but again i don't think the risk/reward is there.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 AM

I'd either raise it to 800 if I thought UTG would fold

Call if both blinds were passive

and fold if I thought someone would push.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 AM

I guess my reasoning here is that UTG should fold all exept JJ+ and mabey AK because the shorty is so small. Also I can loose this push and still be in position to make the money. I dont know if this logic is right, but thats what I was thinking. Intersted to see what others think.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 AM

After considering that there is actually 500 in the pot from my last post I have almost talked myself into making this push. I think I still fold or call to see the flop though.