Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Default ugly hand - big pot

loose-goosey 50/12/1 game..

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

River: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 06-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: ugly hand - big pot

Wow, I hate how you played this. Could you give your reasoning on the postflop streets?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:23 PM

That flop bet, uh, sucks. Check and hope that it's not raised so you can see the turn for 1 bet.

Lost Wages
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I hate how you played this. Could you give your reasoning on the postflop streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is big enough that I want to try to protect my hand. I may even have the best hand at this point. Leading the flop gives UTG a chance to get over-aggro on his overcards and knock out hands like gutshots, backdoor flushdraws with one overcard, etc.

I couldn't think of any other way to face the field with two bets cold, either on the flop OR on the turn.

I'm really surprised this hand generated so much disdain; I thought it was pretty standard stuff, a la SSH.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is big enough that I want to try to protect my hand. I may even have the best hand at this point. Leading the flop gives UTG a chance to get over-aggro on his overcards and knock out hands like gutshots, backdoor flushdraws with one overcard, etc.

I couldn't think of any other way to face the field with two bets cold, either on the flop OR on the turn.

I'm really surprised this hand generated so much disdain; I thought it was pretty standard stuff, a la SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I thought you played exactly how you were suppossed to. I don't see how you can not bet out the flop, getting UTG to put two bets to the feild.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM

I also like the flop action here. You might get a better hand like a 9 to fold as well with two bets to them. When button cold calls though, I slow down. He could have a straight draw, but a 9 or T seems likely as well. If you do decide to bet this turn, then you might need to check/fold the river if button comes along. I'd probably check the turn though and see what happens before I decide. If button bets out, I probably fold.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do decide to bet this turn, then you might need to check/fold the river if button comes along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? You're forgetting that the button cold-called preflop. It's going to take the jaws of life to pry him off of hands like KQ, AJ, AQ, etc. (Not to mention hands he SHOULD be continuing with, like QJ, AT, etc.)

He didn't mind cold-calling preflop, I doubt he will have much trouble cold-calling postflop, esp. when there's now a big pot to win.

I think check-folding the river after being flat-called on the turn is giving up a lot.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That flop bet, uh, sucks. Check and hope that it's not raised so you can see the turn for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? This is an acceptable line in a ring game, but I much prefer Donger's line. Bet at it and hope for an UTG raise for hand protection.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM

It's a five handed flop. How full do you want it? Hero has bottom pair in a raised pot with 2 cards in the playing zone. The three players he's trying to force out already cold called before the flop. Not the type who are likely to fold the flop with any piece. Hero got lucky on this hand.

Lost Wages
Old 06-01-2005, 11:03 PM

And given that hero bet the flop - which I don't like, but I figured that's what you were trying to do - betting again on the turn is just nuts. No folding equity and very little showdown value.