Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Using Tracker/Poker Ace Effectively

I just recently began using Poker Ace in conjunction with Poker Tracker, and I want to make sure I'm getting effective real time reads. I play Empire NL 50 and I see VPIP, PF Raise %, Hands seen and Flop/turn/river aggression on each players display. My problem now is using these reads to my advantage when I'm in a hand with someone I have a decent sample size of. I can hardly tell weather a player with a low overall aggression is a calling station or a nut peddler. I'd appreciate advice from anyone familiar with these programs, including what types of players to take advantage of and the best way to do it.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Using Tracker/Poker Ace Effectively

I mostly look at the VPIP, PFR, % of times won when saw flop and % of times won at showdown. It gives me a pretty good idea of what kind of player it is.

I'm still a PT newbie as well, and I'm not really sure how those agression numbers work or what they mean, hopefully someone will clear it up.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM

The WenttoSD% will tell you whether a person is a calling station or nut peddler. 20-25% is about average. Above that they're a calling station. Much below and they'll have a hand

I use Gametime+, but I assume Pokerace has the same feature of showing you the autorate icon associated with the player.
A phone icon puts a little gleam in my eye

Agression number is just (#Bets+#Raises)/#Calls it puts no emphasis on the size of the bets or raises. That's something you have to figure out yourself.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM

- a low Went To Showdown % (< 20) is someone you can bluff or steal from
- low VP$IPs (< 20) are good candidates for stealing blinds
- I usually respect a raise from a tight player who comes alive all of the sudden (e.g. VP$IP/PFR/AF of 15/3/.5)
- Rocks (VP$IP < 15) are waiting for the best hands to play
- also make sure you have a good sample. I'm comfortable with 100 or more hands played.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WenttoSD% will tell you whether a person is a calling station or nut peddler. 20-25% is about average. Above that they're a calling station. Much below and they'll have a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. if it's an aggressive player, they may just get a lot of folds from their opponents and so have a low WtSD%.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM

aggression numbers are much more helpful if you include flop/turn/river fold percentages, this is because the aggression numbers to not include folding in their formula. I'm really pretty surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier
Old 07-18-2005, 01:24 PM

So now I'm thinking I should scrap the flop/turn/river aggression #'s and focus on when, if it all, my opponents fold. It seems that this would better help me diagnose what type of players I'm up against. Would you agree? Also, yes, Poker Ace is basically the same thing as Gametime+. Finally, what do you guys think about getting reads from players whom you've only played 40-60 hands with?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, what do you guys think about getting reads from players whom you've only played 40-60 hands with?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for more obvious data when the sample is small. For example, if he never raised preflop or played 75% of his hands.

Check out the Poker Tracker articles here: bet-the-pot